Dance marathon wins Rock the U funding from ASUU

By Rochelle McConkie

The ASUU Senate passed a bill Thursday granting $25,000 to Rock the U-a new charity group that will host a 26.2-hour dance marathon later this year to raise money for the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

The money will come out of the Associated Students of the University of Utah general reserve fund, which currently contains $250,000.

The same bill passed in the student General Assembly on Tuesday. Student Body President Jake Kirkham must now sign the bill for it to take effect.

Kirkham recently added a Rock the U board to his Executive Cabinet.

Rock the U’s dance marathon will be held March 15 and 16 in the Huntsman Center and will include music, food, speakers, performers, entertainment and service opportunities.

While ASUU estimates the event will carry a $45,000 price tag, the U student constitution, Redbook, says the maximum amount of money that can be petitioned for at one time is $25,000. The board will have to raise the remaining $20,000.

ASUU leaders said Rock the U was designed to increase unity among students, build tradition and join U students and the surrounding community in the fight against cancer.

Other universities have hosted similar events; Penn State raised $4.2 million last year with its dance marathon.

Next week, Rock the U board members will travel to Indiana University to see their dance marathon. The Huntsman Cancer Institute is funding the trip.

ASUU hopes to raise $300,000 through Rock the U. They expect 15,000 people to attend the dance, including 300 sponsored dancers for the competition. Each dancer is required to personally raise $300 for the cancer institute to participate.

The student government is soliciting money for in-kind donations, which will pay for prizes, food, gift certificates and operating costs. It hopes to raise $80,000 and to recruit 500 volunteers for the event.

The Rock the U board has currently raised $2,000 and received close to $700 in donations.

While there have been no surveys conducted to show U student support of this event, ASUU president Jake Kirkham is hopeful the event will be successful.

“I am 100 percent confident that this event will raise at least $50,000,” he said.

Senator Piper Morrell of the College of Nursing expressed concerns that the bill lacked accountability because it does not specify how much money, if any, would be paid back to ASUU after the event.

Toby Collett, ASUU vice president, said he hopes the event will generate enough money this year so that it can be self-funded in later years.

Senator Clay Perkins of the College of Business voiced concerns about the lack of surveys conducted.

“I have a duty to represent the students and the students weren’t asked about this,” he said.

Senate Chairwoman Shadie Ghaibi, of the College of Health supported the bill. “I think we have an obligation to build community on this campus,” Ghaibi said. “When $20,000 (goes) to Crimson Nights, I don’t know why we’re questioning this.”

Senator Luisa Franca, of the College of Social and Behavioral Science, said, “When Jake and Toby were running, their main campaign was Rock the U-this is what the students voted for.”

Registration for the dance competition was opened last week; 42 students have expressed interest in the event.

“I really believe there are students out there ready to (dance)-they’re ready to meet the $300 challenge,” Angie McMurray, Rock the U director, said.

The bill was passed with one abstention.