Tuition-rate hikes are kick in the face

By Matt Homer

Every time tuition increases, some old wise guy will say we shouldn’t complain. “After all,” he’ll say, “tuition at the U is still less than the national average.” That may be true, but it misses the point.

A recent report issued by the College Board shows that tuition in Utah is increasing at a rate higher than the national average. It’s also significantly above the rate of inflation. Tuition for public four-year institutions in the state increased by an average of 8 percent this year, compared with just 6 percent for the nation as a whole. Sure, Utah’s tuition amount remains lower than the national average, but it’s on a rapid path to catching up.

Given these findings, I anticipate we’ll soon begin hearing the same old rhetoric we’ve heard before. When the U asks the state Legislature for more money, legislators will probably scoff and say we’re still better off than a lot of other folks.

Comparing ourselves to the nation and saying that all is well is erroneous for several reasons.

First, when Utah’s tuition is low, it’s a boon to our state. More people can access education, creating a state citizenry that is relatively more educated than in other places. The state Legislature should focus on maintaining our comparative advantage rather than diminishing it.

Second, pointing out that tuition is more expensive elsewhere doesn’t help those who already struggle with the cost; it just rubs it in their face. It’s like saying, “Wow, if you can’t pay tuition here then you must be REALLY poor because it’s so much cheaper in Utah.”

Third, we should consider what would happen if our tuition rate were closer to the national average. We would probably lose the best and most ambitious students. Low tuition is a strong pull to keeping the best students at home. Also, raising tuition causes students to work more and study less. This will decrease the quality of our graduates and extend the time it takes to complete a degree.

Fourth, we’re already seeing a drop in enrollment. Many people point to the economy and say that’s the reason, arguing that students would rather work than attend school. Although this is true, I also suspect that tuition increases play a factor as well. Tuition hikes, even in small incremental amounts, naturally crowd out those at the bottom of the ladder. This means that low-income groups and minorities are disadvantaged more than others.

Fifth, rising tuition costs send the message that education isn’t really that important, at least not to our elected officials. It encourages individuals to enter the labor market with only a high school diploma and suppresses their future earning potential. In contrast, maintaining low tuition costs through greater government support prepares Utahns for better careers and brings new innovation to our state.

Education should not be viewed as a burden that is begrudgingly funded; rather, it should be seen as an important investment in our future. Fortunately, the state Legislature has been presented a plan that would establish a long-term commitment to funding higher education. This course of action would make students responsible for 25 percent of the total cost, and the state would shoulder the remainder. This is a good start, but before anything can be accomplished, we must get rid of the defeatist attitude that students should just shut up, smile and write out a check while stomaching continual rate hikes.