Home sweet home

By Jade Gray

With possible tuition increases on the horizon, students are looking to decrease their costs as much as possible, especially those who are paying non-resident tuition.

However, the U is attempting to make that a little easier by providing students with the option of receiving in-state tuition after 60 credit hours are completed.

In addition to earning those credits, the student must establish a Utah domicile by acquiring a Utah driver license, registering his or her vehicle in the state, acquiring a bank account and registering to vote in Utah.

“We get several applications each semester for receiving residency,” said Annie Oviatt, a supervisor over residency. “Most applicants do receive in-state residency–the ones that don’t receive it usually haven’t completely established their Utah domicile,” she said.

Oviatt said even if a student meets all the requirements for the tuition change, the process doesn’t happen automatically. The student must go through the application process to receive those benefits.

With more students taking longer to graduate and some pursuing more than one major, having in-state tuition would lower the academic costs for nonresident individuals.

Based on current tuition rates, if a student’s application were accepted, it would decrease tuition from $6,185.37 per semester as a nonresident to $1,983.85 as a resident. Both prices are based on a 12-credit-hour load.

The deadlines for applicants are Dec. 1 for the Spring Semester and July 1 for fall residency. For more information and access to an application, visit www.sa.utah.edu/admiss/.