ASUU awards more money for student groups

By Rochelle McConkie

The U student government dished out about $8,000 more for student groups this school year than last.

Thus far, the Associated Students of the University of Utah has awarded nearly $168,500 for student groups. During the 2005-2006 school year, student groups received about $160,200 in ASUU funds.

The largest portion of the money was handed out during the student government’s recent fall budget process.

Each semester, ASUU creates a budget for student groups. The spring portion of the 2006-2007 budget was awarded Oct. 16 by a board of five ASUU members, including ASUU Finance Director Kacey Kalian.

Student groups submitted applications to ASUU in September, explaining their needs and plans to use the money. Each board member reviewed the applications from the student groups and determined their recommended money allotment. The applications then went to Kalian for the final review and decision.

“The more information groups gave us on their forms, the better we were able to determine how much they got,” Kalian said.

ASUU funds student groups with the money it receives from student fees.

Throughout the year, student groups are able to receive a maximum amount of $5,000. This semester, the largest sum given was to the University Student Apartments Residence Council, which received $2,500. Omniglot, a club that studies international linguistics, received the smallest amount-$300. All other groups received at least $400.

Together, the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council received a total of $4,400.

“I think the greeks put on great activities that affect lots of people,” Kalian said. “Student groups can’t be discriminated against just because of outside funds.”

Kalian said he also tried to be more generous to smaller student groups, offering them advertising money to help them grow.

The U Chinese Student Scholars Association received $2,300 for funding this semester, the second-highest amount allocated. The group hosts several events during the year, including a Chinese New Year celebration in February.

“ASUU really paid attention to us-every event that we did had ASUU representatives. They knew what we did and this year it was easier (to get money),” said Xiaoyu Xu, president of the association.

Erik Allen, president of the U Model United Nations, was unhappy with how much money ASUU awarded his group.

“We got a fraction of what we asked for?they gave us $400 for advertising but we asked for nearly $3,000,” he said.

Allen, a senior in political science, said ASUU offered a workshop in September to explain the budgeting process to student groups, but it was unclear as to where money for conferences would come from.

Ryan Perkins