Thanksgiving takes backseat to Christmas

By Alicia Greenleigh

Well friends, it’s that time again: Christmas. Now, you may be wondering why I say Christmas when Thanksgiving is just days away. That’s because Thanksgiving has taken a backseat to Christmas ever since I can remember. I mean, to be honest, it starts looking a lot like Christmas the second Smith’s takes down its Halloween decorations and replaces them with dancing Santas. And that is exactly my point: Why is our beloved day of turkey being ignored?

It seems you can’t even think about Thanksgiving without someone mentioning Christmas. For instance, I called my nana to wish her a happy holiday, and she said, “Well at least you’ll be out for Christmas.” It is as though people will start out saying, “Happy Thanksgiving!” and end with, “What do you want for Christmas?”

I can’t help but feel sorry for our poor turkey and cranberry sauce holiday. I mean, it is one of the only days that promotes–nay, is derived–from being thankful. And I know Christmas dinner is supposed to be some kind of magical meal, but frankly, I could never really tell the difference between the foods of Thanksgiving and the foods of Christmas. In all my memories, it seems like they were the exact same meal.

Of course, my family is Chinese and Jewish, so that may have something to do with it, but that’s beside the point. When did Thanksgiving–one of the few secular holidays for all to enjoy–become the pit stop between Halloween and Christmas?

My theory is that corporate America couldn’t turn a big enough profit on the Thanksgiving-inspired products. We’ve got the eggnog latte and peppermint latte, sure–but a turkey latte? I’m afraid it just sends out the gross vibe. Or maybe America feels shortchanged. It is, after all, a holiday on which you reflect on the things you have in your life, not accept the new things people are giving you for your life.

To quote Elaine from “Seinfeld,” “We’ll be going in lesser babka.” But, university, it’s time we ignore the presents and reindeer that lie ahead and focus on the holiday at hand. Instead of asking friends, family members or significant others what they want for Christmas, ask them instead what they want from the bird, White or dark meat? Wing or thigh?

Inspired by Jerry, I leave you with these thoughts: Thanksgiving takes a backseat to no holiday. Anytime someone asks, “What is your favorite holiday?” the answer invariably comes back, Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving. Again and again. Lesser holidays–I think not.