The sweet Stefani

By Jesse Peterson

Gwen StefaniThe Sweet EscapeInterscope RecordsThree-and-a-half out of five stars

The true American idol-the ever-eclectic Gwen Stefani-is at it again, giving the public a dose of California glam at its finest, and she knows that we want it. How does she know? I’m not sure, but Gwen Stefani is the type of person everyone wants to be-even the guys.

Her newest album, The Sweet Escape, deals in love, girl power and self-awareness-the lyrical content giving the record more depth than one would expect. Furthermore, because Stefani takes a mature approach (or, at least, as mature as a third-wave ska-gal-cum-hollaback girl can get) to such topics, The Sweet Escape becomes a more intelligent and tasteful musical landscape than some of her contemporaries’ best efforts.

Gavin Rossdale, Bush’s lead singer and Stefani’s husband, is present on the record, whether as the nameless “you” or half of the double-G predominantly displayed as part of the visual aesthetic.

Dance-style music does make an appearance, but it is less prevalent on The Sweet Escape than on previous Stefani efforts; however, this does not mean the beats don’t stop. In fact, much of the music is simplified to merely bass lines and the occasional complements-like a refrain of yodels taken from The Sound of Music’s puppet song. It’s quirky, but not too weird, as one would expect.

Also not overdone, thankfully, is the appearance of featured guests like Pharrell. Stefani’s album characterizes itself more as a hip-hop album, but only slightly.

Certain tracks can also sound like alt-rock and the gloop old people listen to on easy, breezy smooth hit radio stations. Nevertheless, The Sweet Escape delivers some good melodies and thoughtful lyrics, and will definitely play with the emotions of those who listen long enough.

Gwen Stefani will be breaking boys’ hearts on April 30 at the E Center.