Union turns 50

By Ana Breton

Walt Clark knew he was witnessing a rare event as he overlooked the celebration a few feet away.

A large group of former and current U students, faculty and staff members stood intertwined, crowding the Union Food Court for a once-in-50-years celebration.

With impatient curiosity, both Clark and the varied audience watched yesterday as the bright red ribbon was finally cut.

The ribbon, cut by University of Utah President Michael K. Young, Union Director Whit Hollis and seven other prominent U figures, symbolized the building’s 50th anniversary.

Clark put the ribbon together for this special event, but what made it truly unique was the fact that he had made the original ribbon for the Union’s opening ceremony in 1957.

“It just brings a flood of memories back,” he said. “It truly makes me proud to be part of this celebration.”

Fifty years ago, Clark was a freshman German major and a member of the Union Board. The opening of the building, he said, was the biggest event of the year, mainly because construction had been ongoing for 35 years.

Each U student was asked to donate $1 to the construction, which moved the Union from Libby Gardner Hall to its new location.

“We had all been waiting for it for so long,” Clark said. “There was a lot of excitement that day.”

Also present for the original celebration in 1957 was Tom Melville, one of the two students who cut the original ribbon (Gay Messina was the other).

And although the former senior engineering major said he doesn’t remember much about what happened that day–besides that it was a really cold morning–Melville said not a lot has changed since then.

“Only now, I guess, I’m 50 years older, 50 shades of hair lighter and 50 pounds heavier,” Clark said.

During yesterday’s celebration, a time capsule that had been placed in the Union when it was first dedicated was opened. U leaders also announced they would be creating a new one that would act as a cornerstone for future generations.

“The Union is sort of like a crossroads for students,” Kirkham said. “We learn a lot in the classroom, but here, we have learned so much more.”

The Union Building will be formally rededicated tonight during a gala dinner in the Union Ballroom at 6 p.m.