Dance marathon faces hurdles

By Rochelle McConkie

With a definite location and solid plans, organizers of the Rock the U dance marathon are optimistic that the event is becoming a reality, but after changing goals, some are less convinced.

Event chairs originally marketed the 26.2-hour dance marathon with the goal of raising upwards of $300,000 for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. The committee now hopes to raise around $100,000.

“It doesn’t feel like we’re failing or less successful; we’re just making (the goals) more manageable,” said Angie Gray, chairwoman of the event. “Ever since the beginning, we set a goal high enough to motivate us, but as we face reality and time passes, we realize our goals may not be as big.”

The event was originally going to be held in the Huntsman Center, but because of space and logistic issues, has been moved to the Union Ballroom.

Clayton Perkins, a senator for the College of Business in the Associated Students of the University of Utah, stands by his vote against ASUU’s efforts to fund the event.

“I voted against this because in the past, ASUU has not been able to pull off goals they have set for themselves,” Perkins said. “When other universities started (similar events), they were only pulling in $10,000 to $15,000 their first year. Why does the U think they will be different?”

Perkins said that an ASUU source told him the event would be lucky if it made between $20,000 and $30,000.

“I hope the event is successful, but I’m sick of promises that are unfulfilled,” Perkins said. He said he hopes that candidates will keep this in mind during the ASUU elections.

About 40 dancers are currently signed up to participate in the marathon night. The committee hopes to have up to 300 dancers. Gray said its biggest focus right now is on dancer recruitment.

Despite setbacks, Gray is still confident that the event will move forward.

“(Scheduling the Union) has had a surprising effect on plans,” she said. “Things that we hadn’t felt right about before are now falling into place.”

Gray said having the event in the Union makes the dance marathon more accessible to students and also closer to the ASUU office. Chartwells will now supply food for the marathon, in keeping with its contract to cater all Union events.

The band Crash Four will play at the event, along with performances from the local comedy group Quick Wits. Games, dance instruction and service projects will also be available.

Cancer survivors and representatives from the Huntsman Cancer Institute will speak throughout the night to share their stories and motivate the dancers.

Student government election results will be announced at the beginning of the event, which will start at 8:30 p.m., March 15, and end at 10:42 p.m., March 16.

“Having a venue has allowed us to outline a sure program,” Gray said.

Fund-raising efforts are intensifying as dance participants create their own Web pages through www.active.com to raise money online. All dancers must raise at least $300 to participate.

Jen Lauritzen, a member of the Utah Rhythm and Dance ballroom dancing team, is captain of the “Rip It Up” team. Along with recruiting people to join her team, Lauritzen will be handing out fliers and fund raising on her Web site. Her goal is to personally raise at least $1,100.

“I think it will really be a life-changing experience,” Lauritzen said. “I recently had an uncle diagnosed with prostate cancer, so that made me want to get involved.”

Freshman Council, a group within ASUU, fund raised at Sundance last weekend and also plans to fund raise at the Utah vs. BYU basketball game on Wednesday. The group will also hand out fliers and ask for donations at Utah Jazz basketball games and other locations throughout the Salt Lake valley.

“It’s important for us to inform the local community about the event and that the public is aware,” said William Hoang, freshman council director.