Smiles for seniors

By Ana Breton

Some were pink and purple, others yellow and red. Some had black cursive writing on them, others bright cutout letters.

Most had heart shapes drawn on them, but all were being made for the same reason: to let someone know he or she was loved.

They are Valentine’s Day cards, and students from all walks of life created about two dozen of them Friday for a service project between organizations.

It was created by the Bennion Center, but the Catholic Newman Center and other U students also joined in the effort.

That same day the special Valentine’s Day cards were delivered around the community; most were given to the elderly, the widowed or people who could not provide for themselves.

Amber Walker, a senior in exercise and sports science, said Valentine’s Day can be a downer for those who don’t have a special someone.

“I’m sure Valentine’s Day is depressing for widows who live alone,” said Walker, who is also a peer minister at the Newman Center. “It’s also just good to do things for other people.”

Ashley Seegmiller, a junior in health promotion and education, said participating in the service project has mental and physical benefits.

“This will help the elderly feel important-like they’re not alone,” Seegmiller said. “And even just smiling helps the immune system.”

Josh Kaggie, a grad student in physics, agreed.

“It’s also good for you to do service for the community so you can bring meaning to your own life,” Kaggie said.

Tara Farnsworth, a junior in elementary education, had her own reason to participate.

“I think it’s a special day and you want something special to happen,” Farnsworth, said. “But, when it doesn’t, you see things happen to others around you and it can get kind of depressing.”

For the record, Farnsworth said, she would love to receive a valentine when she is elderly.

Kim Peterson

Josh Kaggie, graduate student in physics; Ashley Seegmiller, junior in health promotion and education and Lindsay Francom, freshman in exercise and sports science, make valentines for the elderly as part of a service project Friday in the Bennion Center.