Defend yourself

By Ana Breton

The U Police Department will be offering Rape Aggression Defense classes aimed at teaching women and girls to protect themselves against abuse.

Sgt. Lynn Rohland and seven other U police officers will be teaching the six-week course, which starts tonight.

“These classes will help women to learn options when they need to physically protect themselves from sexual assault,” said Rohland, who is a crime prevention officer with U police. “We’ll also be talking about drugs and alcohol and the link they have to abuse.”

The first hour of the three-hour class will consist mostly of lectures, Rohland said. During the rest of the session women will learn defense moves and “get down to the nitty-gritty,” she said.

The class takes place every Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the U police headquarters at 1735 E. South Campus Drive. The course costs $25.

Once the course has been completed, women are eligible to take RAD classes free of charge for life.

Sessions are limited to 16 female students who may register by calling campus police at 585-2677.

“It can be a very emotionally healing experience for those who have been affected by abuse before,” Rohland said. “It’s also a great opportunity to punch out a cop and not go to jail.”