Buy a doctor, save a life

By Ana Breton

Can’t find a date tonight? Buy one!

The medical student class of 2010 will be auctioning off more than two-dozen of its students tonight for a good cause.

About 25 men and 7 women will be auctioned in an effort to raise money that will be given to Rock the U, a 26.2-hour dance marathon. The donations will benefit the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

Bids for date packages are worth anywhere from $50 to $150, however, Teresa Tuan, graduate student and event organizer said bids will start at $20.

“Hopefully by starting low people won’t be scared off too quickly,” Tuan said.

Packages range from a $30 Skybox (including an autographed picture of Mehmet Okur) to a two-week membership to Rockreation

All dates include a restaurant package and an evening activity.

Restaurants featured in the packages include Applebee’s (any two entrees and drinks), Caf Rio (any two entrees and drinks), Blue Iguana (dinner for two), Caf Molise ($50 value for food and drinks), Mikado (dinner for two) and a dinner for two at the Ruby River Steakhouse.

Activity date packages include tickets to a Real Salt Lake Game ($19 per ticket value), Utah Blaze game ($18 per ticket value), Utah Grizzlies ($22 per ticket value), VIP tickets to the W Lounge (valid any night), Color Me Mine (2 vouchers for studio fee of one-hour paint time and a $20 gift certificates for pottery) and 2 haircuts with new artist at Landis Salon.

Kencee Amyx, 1st year medical student and event organizer, said the auction will give people a chance to have fun while helping the Huntsman Institute.

“It’s an easy way to help the community,” Amyx said, adding that if she weren’t engaged, she would be auctioned as well.

A talent and art show will also take place before the auction. The talent show will feature several signing and piano numbers and will give people a chance to know students outside of a classroom environment, Tuan said.

“You’ll get to see medical student outside their normal environment,” Tuan said. “Plus you’ll get to see your future doctors putting themselves up for sale!”

The date auction will take place tonight in the East Union Ballroom at 9 p.m. Both cash and cards will be accepted for date packages.