Pearson and Pehrson make the cut

By Rochelle McConkie

The FUSE Party and Forward Party will move on to the ASUU general elections, leaving More 4 U and Activate behind.

FUSE presidential and vice presidential candidates Spencer Pearson and Basim Motiwala took first in the Associated Students of the University of Utah primary elections with 1529 votes.

Presidential candidate Rick Pehrson and vice presidential candidate Clayton McDonald of the Forward Party came in second, narrowly edging More 4 U by just 40 votes with 971.

The Activate Party received 629 votes.

Both Pearson and Pehrson expressed their excitement with the winning the primaries.

“We really appreciate all those who supported us,” Pearson said. “We hope to continue to receive support next week.”

Although Pehrson said he is excited to move “forward” with candidates Clayton McDonald and Brittany Bell — senior class presidential candidates — he said he is disappointed not to have more of his senate and assembly candidates win.

“We had some strong candidates that didn’t move through,” Pehrson said.

Joe Coccimiglio, presidential candidate for the More 4 U Party has no regrets.

“We worked our butts off — and no, I would not do it again next year.”

Activate presidential candidate Cameron Beech, who focused his campaign on the goal of increased student turnout, said he is proud of what his party accomplished.

“My whole party was about voter turnout, and we had a lot more people vote, so I am proud of our efforts,” Beech said.

In the senior class president primaries, Nicole Nguyen of the FUSE Party came out on top with 725 votes. Forward’s Brittany Bell and More 4 U’s Megan Maxfield tied with 418 votes. Both Bell and Maxfield will proceed to the general elections.

Results were announced at 10 a.m. Friday on the Union Patio. Senate and General Assembly results have been posted in the window to the ASUU office (Union Building, Room 234).

General elections will take place March 13-14, from 7 a.m. Tuesday to 10 p.m. Wednesday. Results will be announced at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 15, at Rock the U in the Union.

Lennie Mahler

The Forward Party candidates react to results.

Lennie Mahler

After losing to him by just 40 votes, More 4 U’s Joe Coccimiglio congratulates Forward candidate Rick Pehrson on advancing through to primaries.

Lennie Mahler

FUSE candidates Basim Motowala and Spencer Pearson beat their closest competitors (Forward) by 658 votes.