Utes stroke their way to second-place finish

By Cody Brunner

Sometimes it just takes a while to find a rhythm. Nearing the end of a season full of mediocre finishes, it looks as though the Utah golf team may just be finding its own.

The Swingin’ Utes were firing on all cylinders earlier this week at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic as they snagged a second-place finish, thanks to a strong short game.

Utah started the tournament off right on Monday, seemingly doing everything right on the way to a 2-under-par finish. Dustin Pimm and Steve Broker paced the Utes on the day, each carding scores of five-under. The duo provided the pace, but they were upstaged by teammate Nicolas Larson, who turned in a tournament-best 7-under 65 to lead the Utes.

Collectively, the hot shooting of the three landed the Utes in third place, merely four strokes behind UC-Davis for the lead.

The Utes kept the ball rolling early on the second day of competition, netting multiple birdies early in their rounds. They cooled off a bit in the afternoon, but their effort still landed them in second place overall.

Juniors Dustin Pimm and Chris Gresh netted the best overall scores for the two days, carding a 1-under to finish tied for fifth place. Nicolas Larson cooled off a bit on the second day, but still finished with a 3-over to finish in 25th place.

“We had a pretty good finish,” said Utah golf coach Randall McCracken. “You’ve got to be happy with second. Hopefully this will give us momentum heading into next week.”

The Utes return to action on April 20 at the BYU Cougar Classic, which is the final meet of the regular season before the Utes play in the Mountain West Conference Championships.

Pimm leads the Utes on the season, averaging 70.1 strokes per 18 holes (roughly 2-under-par). He also leads the Utes with the most Top-5 finishes (two), Top-10 finishes (three) and Top-20 finishes (three). Larson comes in second with a 71.9 stroke average, Gresh in third with 72.6 and Broker in fourth with 73.4.