RMR: Atlanta bounces back for second day win

By Chronicle Sports Staff

SALT LAKE CITY – If any of the San Antonio Spurs in the Rocky Mountain Revue represented the NBA’s current champion version, the Spurs could kiss their chances of repeating next year goodbye.For the second time in as many nights, the Spurs took a beating, this time at the hands of sophomore Shelden Williams and the rest of his Atlanta Hawks, 79-68.

In a game that was pretty much out of hand for the Spurs by halftime, none of the Spurs could muster more than Keith Langford’s 14 points, or even stay in the game for that matter. Three of the Spurs, Victor Sanikidze (1st quarter), James White (2nd quarter) and Marcellus Sommervillie (3rd quarter) all went down with injuries. None of them returned to play.

The Hawks, meanwhile, bounced back from a disheartening last-second loss to the Utah Jazz last night. Aside from Williams’ 23 points and 11 rebounds, the Hawks got contributions from both of their 2007 lottery picks – Acie Law (nine points, five assists) and Al Horford (nine points, nine rebounds and three assists). Gonzaga product Derek Raivio also chipped in 10 points and three assists.

Williams, the Hawks fifth pick in last year’s NBA Draft, is still looking to dispel the critics’ assertions that he was selected a few spots too high after a disappointing rookie season. His performance this afternoon may be the breakout game he needed to reverse his fortunes.

The Spurs showed little signs of disappointment as they were getting blown out, some players even laughing and paying little attention to the game. The coaches know they still get to return home to a roster that features Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, and NBA Finals MVP Tony Parker. No worries here for the Spurs.

Jason Peterson

Horford shows championships abilities at the Revue

After spending the last two years winning NCAA Championships with the Florida Gators, Al Horford, finds himself getting a small taste of the NBA in the 2007 Rocky Mountain Revue this weekend at The Life Time Activities Center of Salt Lake Community College.

Horford was taken by the Atlanta Hawks with the third overall selection of the 2007 NBA Draft. After making the decision to stay with his college team after winning his first national championship as a sophomore, he is now drafted and banging on the court with other NBA hopefuls.

According to Horford the competition is tougher in the summer league.

“Every single guy on every team is really talented,” Horford said. “I come out of the game and you put anyone on my position and they can play. That is something that you don’t see in college.”

Although Harford is playing against better players, he has still thrived in his first two games of the Revue.

Between the two nights Horford shot 50 percent from the field averaging 13.5 points and 15 total rebounds in a combined 60 minutes of play between the games.

“He plays like he belongs,” said Atlanta Hawks’ summer league head coach Larry Drew, “He’s very comfortable, he plays at his pace, and he doesn’t try to do too much.”

Brett Perfili

Ty Cobb

Shelden Williams fights off James White and Fredric Adjiwanou of the Spurs before scoring two of his 23 points to lead the Atlanta Hawks to a 79-68 win on July 14.