RMR: Jazz nip Hawks in their summer league debut

By Chronicle Sports Staff

The Utah Jazz got a tough welcome from the Atlanta Hawks as they opened Rocky Mountain Revue play on Friday. Still they snuck in front of the relentless Hawks 64-63 just as time expired.

With 1.8 seconds remaining on the clock, second-year forward Paul Millsap put in the game winning shot, giving the Jazz a one point win.

Although the Jazz won, the story of the game was Atlanta rookie Al Horford. The forward out of Florida lived up to his lottery status by scoring 18 well-earned points in the middle, while adding six rebounds and two steals. Particularly impressive was his enthusiasm and his presence.

While on the bench, Horford cheered on teammates and promoted a culture not indicative of Atlanta Hawk basketball. It was refreshing to see a young player with so much enthusiasm.

Eagerness was not missing from the Jazz side either.

On the opening possession of the game Jazz guard Dee Brown lofted an alley-oop pass to forward Ronnie Brewer who then finished with a dunk that sent the crowd into frenzy. Paul Millsap fueled the intensity even more by scoring 12 points and grabbing nine boards.

Jazz fans also got a chance to preview first-round pick Morris Almond. The rookie guard did not disappoint, scoring 12 points on nearly 50-percent shooting from the field. Almond shot with confidence and used his quick release to his advantage, which was an encouraging sign for Jazz fans.

Mandeep Gill

Rookie flies under radar

During Friday night’s exhibition game between the Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks, all eyes were on the rookie who wore a Jazz uniform.

The young man checked into the game, played tough defense, hustled and basically flustered opponents’ ability to score. He then sat down to numerous high-fives and praises from coaches and teammates. All without scoring a single point.

And his name was not Morris Almond.

While Almond scored 12 points and generally pleased fans with his debut, it was the other Jazz rookie, Kyrylo Fesenko, who made a splash with his all-out style of play.

The Ukrainian-born center, taken by the Philadelphia 76ers with the 33rd pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, was overjoyed to learn he had been promptly traded to the Utah Jazz after his selection.

Fesenko finished the game with only two rebounds–which is quite a feat when Jazz teammates Rafael Araujo and Paul Millsap are roaming the paint. He also had an assist and three blocks.

Not exactly scintillating numbers, but if there were stats for enthusiasm and energy, Fesenko would average a double-double.

During one play, Hawks guard Earl Calloway made a swift spinning move and finished with a lay-up attempt that drew “Oohs and Aahs” from the crowd. One second later, Fesenko swatted the basketball against the glass with such ferocity the crowd roared to life and the block resulted in a quick three-pointer for the Jazz on the other end of the court.

Fesenko, who resembles an oversized kid, might become the interior shot-blocking presence the Jazz need. While Fesenko has averaged two blocks per game for his career, the 20-year-old alters countless other shots and clearly helps to change the game with his surprising mobility that often forces opponents to settle for outside jumpers.

He and Jazz defensive specialist Andrei Kirilenko could team up to make a tongue-twisting name for themselves in years to come.

Jason Peterson

Lennie Mahler

Paul Millsap puts up a circus shot over defenders in the Utah Jazz’s nail-biter against the Atlanta Hawks. After his foul gave the Hawks a one-point lead with 5.6 seconds left, Millsap scored at the other end of the court to win the game for the Jazz.