RMR: Let the Revue begin

By Chronicle Sports Staff

The opening game of the Rocky Mountain Revue was not a close one as the Philadelphia 76ers stuck it to the Spurs early and often as they finished the night with a 91-75 victory.

The Sixers received solid play from forward Thaddeus Young. The rookie poured in a game-high 19 points, however, he shot just 38 percent from the field. Second year forward Louis Admundson showed a much better touch, as he shoot 75 percent and ended with 17 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks in the process.

As a team, the Sixers were hitting on all cylinders as they shot 45 percent and broke open a 33-point lead at one point in the lopsided affair.

As for the Spurs, it’s back to the drawing board. Although there were not many bright spots for the them Friday, the Spurs had positive production from rookie forward Victor Sanikidze and rookie guard C.J Watson. Together the two combined for 33 of San Antonio’s 75 points. Sanikidze did most of his damage late as he finished with 15 points. C.J Watson scorched the nets for the Spurs on 55-percent shooting from the field finishing, while finishing with a team-high 18 points. His shooting percentage could have been even better then indicated in the stat line had many of Watson’s in-and-out shots gone down.

The Sixers’ took advantage of their athleticism and took the fight to the Spurs early, and the defending champs’ summer league team never found a way to recover.

Mandeep Gill

Man on a mission

Pop quiz: What do Atlanta Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins and Philadelphia 76ers rookie Herbert Hill have in common?

Answer: Both were drafted by the Utah Jazz and traded away before playing a single game in a Jazz uniform.

The similarities pretty much stop there, but the Jazz may soon be kicking themselves for letting go of Hill, just as they did after shipping Wilkins off to Atlanta in that fateful summer of 1982. No doubt, many have wondered how different things would be if the Human Highlight Film had ever teamed up with Karl Malone and John Stockton.

“I’m just happy to be drafted,” said Hill. “I don’t have anything against the Jazz or anyone else.”

Hill’s soft-spoken and humble demeanor suggest one thing, but his game screams another.

Drafted last month by Utah with the 55th pick, the Providence product gave fans and Jazz brass a tempting taste of what they could have had by turning in a 14 point, 6 rebound performance against the Rocky Mountain Revue edition of the San Antonio Spurs.

So far this summer, Hill has averaged nearly eight points and four rebounds on an astounding 80-percent shooting. His 76ers just wrapped up their showing in the Las Vegas Summer League and Hill hopes to continue his success here in Salt Lake. His stats, however, don’t show the real story behind Hill’s game.

“I just try to rebound and do the little things every team could use,” said Hill.

Little things Jazz coach Jerry Sloan relishes in his players.

While the jury might still out on whether he will be the next Dominique Wilkins, Hill is clearly a man with a vendetta.

The Jazz, along with 28 other teams, might have missed out on this year’s steal of the draft.

Jason Peterson

Lennie Mahler

Philadelphia’s Louis Amundson, an undrafted rookie out of UNLV, goes up for a shot in the 76ers 91-75 win over the San Antonio Spurs at the 2007 Rocky Mountain Revue