RMR: Jazz, Brown spoil Durant’s Revue debut

By Jason Peterson

TAYLORSVILLE – They say you can’t teach height.

Watching the blur that that ate up the Seattle Sonics on Tuesday night, it’s safe to say you can’t teach speed, either.

The Sonics had no answer for Dee Brown, who finished with 10 points, 10 assists and only four turnovers, as the Utah Jazz blew by their opponents en route to a 102-88 triumph in what was easily the most-hyped game of the Rocky Mountain Revue thus far.

Brown-who has yet to sign a contract, despite a qualifying offer tendered by the Jazz-decided he was due for a break-out game.

Instead of playing the slower, half-court pace the Jazz have been accustomed to for the previous three games, Brown decided to bring everyone else up to his speed – that of an Energizer bunny on pixy stix.

“Fantastic. On both ends of the floor,” Jazz coach Scott Layden said of Brown. “His energy just enhances everyone else.”

Such beneficiaries included Paul Millsap (22 points, nine rebounds), Morris Almond (a personal high of 18 points) and forward Wen Mukubu (14 points).

Two others benefited from the style of play: Seattle’s rookie duo of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green combined for a staggering 54 points.

The crowd, speckled with green Seattle jerseys showing support for the two rookies, cheered each time Durant made a play.

Unfortunately for Durant, he didn’t make enough, sinking just 7 out of 21 mostly ill-advised shots. The second overall pick of this year’s NBA Draft, however, attacked the basket without a conscience. Awarded with 15 free throws, Durant knocked down 14 of them.

Green was a more efficient 6-14, but no one on the rest of the Sonics scored more than seven points.

Upon acquiring free-agent veteran point guard Jason Hart last week, it is unclear how Brown will be used in next season’s rotation. Brown’s performance tonight proves that the race to be Jazz point Deron Williams’ backup is on.

“The Jazz played well. Kevin Durant and Jeff Green are great players,” Layden said. “We can all go home happy.”

Lennie Mahler

RMR

Ty Cobb

Dee Brown looks on in disbelief at a foul call durring the third quarter. Brown had 10 points and 10 assists in the Jazz win.

Ty Cobb

Jason Cain tries to prevent Kevin Durant from driving to the basket in front of a full house at the Lifetime Activities Center on July 17th.