MWC breakdown: UNLV

By Jason Peterson

Key returners: Wide receiving corps

The Rebels own one of the top MWC wide-receiver tandems in Casey Flair and MWC preseason award selection Ryan Wolfe. Now if they can find a gunslinger to regularly get them the ball, the Rebels could try to climb out of the MWC cellar.

Key losses: The Rebels’ trench men

The lines on both sides of the ball took a hit when seniors DL Howie Fuimaono, OL Marco Guerra and OL Aaron Mueller graduated. At least UNLV will still have the Faga brothers at its disposal on defense.

X-factor: Rocky Hinds, junior

The quarterback tore his ACL during spring play and many wonder if he’ll be 100 percent by season’s start. The question is, will he be mobile enough to handle Mike Sanford and the Rebels’ spread offense?

Toughest game: Wisconsin (Sept. 8)

Despite the loss of OT Joe Thomas (NFL Draft — No. 3 overall pick), some preseason rankings have the Badgers as high as fifth, and the fact that the game is at home is no consolation for the Rebels.

Cupcake game: At Utah State (Aug. 30)

UNLV will travel to Logan for its season opener to take on the Aggies — arguably the second-worst D-I team in the country last year. They are the definition of cupcake.

Season outlook:

Bottom line: If coach Mike Sanford doesn’t turn it around in his third year, the Rebels will finish last in the conference. Again. Sanford will also be in the hot seat. Again. UNLV just doesn’t have the cast to put together any semblance of a decent season in 2007.