Commuters can catch a ride

By Hillary Holbrook

Whether a student lives five miles or 50 miles from campus, a variety of transportation methods are available en route to the U.

Though some might prefer biking, walking or driving as means for arriving on campus, students can also choose to ride TRAX, Utah Transit Authority buses or campus shuttles.

Bus routes

UTA offers several bus routes designed for students commuting to the U.

Express bus routes are available to students who live as far away as Provo or North Ogden. The buses pick up students at several locations throughout each county and drop them off at the Business Loop, located on the south end of campus, in front of the LDS Institute of Religion.

UTA buses that circulate through downtown and the U are available for students who live within a few miles of campus. A recent redesign of these routes offers more options in some areas and fewer in others. Although the route changes will not be implemented until Aug. 26, the new schedules are available at www.rideuta.com.

The UTA Ed Pass is available to all U students and allows them to use UTA transportation for free all year long. The pass is subsidized by student fees. Students can pick up a pass at no cost with a University ID card at the Union’s front desk, U-Card office or Commuter Services.

TRAX

UTA TRAX lines include a University line and a Sandy line. The University line, which runs east to west, has several stops between University Hospital and EnergySolutions Arena. A train stops every 15 minutes at each station. The schedule is available at www.rideuta.com.

The University line also stops at Gallivan Plaza — the boarding point for Sandy TRAX — Trolley Square, The City Library and at Temple Square. Students can use the UTA Ed Pass to board TRAX for free.

Campus shuttles

At least 25 campus shuttles are available on nine different bus routes in and around the U campus.

The shuttles provide easy connections to UTA buses and can be used to reach different locations on campus, including on-campus housing and parking lots near the stadium.

The color-keyed routes, available from 6 a.m. to midnight, pick up students at several locations on campus, including the Union, Park Building, Business Loop, Heritage Commons, Research Park and the Rice-Eccles Stadium TRAX station.

For more information on campus shuttles, visit www.parking.utah.edu.