2007 schedule breakdown

By Tony Pizza and Mandeep Gill

8/30/07 @ Oregon State: The Utes will open their season on the road in front of a hostile crowd in Corvallis. The Beavers finished 10-4 last year, including an upset win over this year’s predicted national champion USC. The Beavers return 18 starters from last year, but there is good news for the Utes: OSU star receiver Sammy Stroughter has taken a leave of absence to deal with personal issues. This will give the Utes’ young secondary less to deal with on opening day.

The Utes will win if: their defense can keep up with the speed of Oregon State’s offense.

The Utes will struggle if: their shortage at running back makes them a one-dimensional team.

09/08/07 vs. Air Force: The Falcons have lost four straight to the U and have not been a factor in the conference in recent years. A new coaching philosophy behind first-year head honcho Troy Calhoun could prove to get Air Force’s season off to a slow start. Utah’s home opener should give the Utes a head start in conference play.

The Utes will win if: they contain Air Force’s perfected running game.

The Utes will struggle if: they let Air Force trade haymakers all game.

09/15/07 vs. UCLA: The Bruins hold a No. 14 ranking in the preseason AP poll and a No. 17 ranking in the preseason USA Today poll. Last year in Pasadena, UCLA thrashed the U 31-10. Like OSU, the Bruins stole USC’s national champion aspirations by defeating their cross-town rival in their regular season finale. The Utes’ should face a high-octane offense with playmakers that have the ability to break the game wide open.

The Utes will win if: they can stay with UCLA’s speed and find a way to pick up first downs against the Bruins’ athletic defense.

The Utes will struggle if: they do not come in with their own game plan and stick to their strengths — particularly through the air.

09/22/07 @ UNLV: Utah has gone 8-0 against the Rebels since the inception of the MWC in 2007. UNLV has a good crop of young receivers. With much of their offensive line gone, the Rebels should rely on their air attack.

The Utes will win if: they rely on the advantage they have in the trenches and play shutdown defense in the secondary.

The Utes will struggle if: the bus breaks down and only the third stringers make it to the game.

09/29/07 vs. Utah State: This game is hardly a rivalry game. The Aggies have not beaten the Utes in a decade. The 2007 USU team is not giving any indication that this will change. With a cloudy QB situation and no overwhelming playmakers, the Aggies should give the Utes a nice break for the Homecoming Game before taking on the toughest team on the schedule.

The Utes will win if: they jump on the board early and give the second string a chance at the majority of the second-half snaps.

The Utes will struggle if: Utah’s uniforms somehow get swapped with the Aggies’ and they have to play the game that way.

10/05/07 @ Louisville: This is by far Utah’s toughest test of the year. The Cardinals are Utah’s toughest regular-season opponents in recent history. Once they get past the rowdy Louisville crowd, the Utes will have to deal with Heisman candidate QB Brian Brohm. The Utes do have success against the Cardinals’ new coach. The Utes rocked Steve Kragthorpe’s Tulsa Golden Hurricanes in the Armed Forces Bowl last year.

The Utes will win if: their defense can contain the Cardinals’ blistering offense.

The Utes will struggle if: they don’t pressure Brian Brohm and find a way to disrupt the Heisman candidate.

10/13/07 vs. San Diego State: Utah should have no trouble with SDSU in 2007. However, if the Aztecs can stay healthy, they could improve the score from last year’s 38-7 home drubbing. Brian Johnson will have some scores to settle in his first time seeing the Aztecs since they ended his 2005 season early with an injury.

The Utes will win if: they do not look past the Aztecs by getting ready for TCU a week early.

The Utes will struggle if: they come out flat and give the Aztecs hope that another win in Salt Lake City is possible.

10/18/07 @ TCU: The Horned Frogs welcome the Utes back to the field were they snapped the U’s 18-game winning streak in 2005. In a game that could have conference championship implications, the U will face the best defenders in the MWC in DE Chase Ortiz and DE Tommy Blake.

The Utes will win if: Utah controls the possession clock and running game on offense and defense.

The Utes will struggle if: their O-line has problems containing TCU’s D-line or the referees overlook blatant illegal screens in the endzone again.

10/27/07 @ Colorado State: The Rams are one of two teams the Utes have lost to since the inception of the MWC. Although the Rams have faired well against the U, they have not been significant since 2002. The U will go to Fort Collins looking for back-to-back wins against the Rams for only the second time in MWC play.

The Utes will win if: Brian Johnson and the U receiving corps overwhelms CSU’s secondary as it should.

The Utes will struggle if: they come out rusty after an eight-day layoff.

11/10/07 vs. Wyoming: The Cowboys come to Rice-Eccles Stadium after demolishing the U at War Memorial Stadium in 2006. Cowboys QB Carsten Sween looks steadier and more polished than last season. His improvement, along with the talent of WRs Michael Ford and Hoost Marsh, could give the Utes a headache.

The Utes will win if: they prove to be more physical than the Cowboys on defense and on the ground.

The Utes will struggle if: the bye week becomes a distraction instead of a chance to recover from injuries.

11/17/07 vs. New Mexico: Like CSU, the Lobos possess a 3-5 record against the Utes since the opening of MWC play. Lobo RB Rodney Ferguson expects to have a dominating season after rushing for 1,234 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006. Containing the running ability of Ferguson and mobile QB Donovan Porterie should be a priority.

The Utes will win if: they remember how New Mexico came from behind last season to beat the Utes in Albuquerque.

The Utes will struggle if: they don’t protect the football from New Mexico’s turnover-savvy defense.

11/24/07 @ BYU: In 2006 the Utes watched the Cougars celebrate in Salt Lake City. In 2007 the Utes must contain the Cougars’ depth at running back in order to return the favor in Provo. RB Harvey Unga has had a great fall camp. With fellow running backs Fui Vakapuna and Manase Tonga also in the mix, the running back position should be the Cougars’ biggest strength.

The Utes will win if: they match BYU’s size with their athleticism on both offense and defense.

The Utes will struggle if: every BYU fan stops for a moment of prayer at exactly 34 minutes and 31 seconds before kickoff.