MUSS still thriving

By Natalie Dicou

Many people predicted that the MUSS would crumble when Urban Meyer left for Gator Nation. Those people couldn’t be more wrong. The MUSS, with or without Meyer, is thriving.

In the two years since Meyer left, the Utes went 7-5 and 8-5. By many Ute fans’ standards, the past two years have been mediocre.

But Utah students have not been discouraged from supporting their team.

In fact, students are joining the rowdy student section in record numbers.

As of Wednesday, the MUSS had already signed up 3,200 students, which puts the group 100 ahead of where it was at this time last year, MUSS coordinator Brynn Whitchurch said.

“We’ll probably cruise past (last year’s membership of 4,700),” said MUSS President Brian Davis, who grew up a die-hard Ute fan and even took Utah loyalty oaths as a child.

Davis and other MUSS leaders had lunch with coach Kyle Whittingham and his staff Wednesday.

The coach urged the group to shoot for 5,500 members.

Davis, a senior political science student, believes it’s a reachable goal.

Considering the organization’s humble beginnings, it’s quite remarkable that the MUSS will likely be 5,000 strong this fall.

Back when the MUSS started up in 2002 — the year before Meyer showed up — the MUSS simply aimed to sign up 300 students. It got 800.

Today, the MUSS is a campus-wide staple.

The MUSS has played a huge role in changing the way students experience football games. For one, a significant number of students actually attend games now, which wasn’t always the case.

In the pre-MUSS era, few students bothered to show up to games. It just wasn’t “the thing to do.”

The impact the MUSS has had on the university over the past few years is apparent every game day when thousands of students attend classes sporting their official MUSS T-shirts, which were designed by two contest-winning students this year.

The contest was part of an effort to get students more involved in the MUSS and “create ownership” among its members, Davis said.

For students who feel like they’re getting ripped off at every turn on this campus — whether it’s the $90 textbooks or the Chartwells cuisine — joining the MUSS might be their best chance to score a bargain.

For $25, members receive tickets to all six of the Utah football team’s home games.

Prior to kickoff, the MUSS will be treated to free food at a tailgate party.

And, of course, there’s the official T-shirt, which in the past few years has become both a trendy fashion statement and a means of exhibiting school pride.

It breaks down to less than $4.17 a game.

“It’s a fabulous deal,” said Whitchurch. “It makes football games a lot more exciting and more of an enjoyable experience.”

While the MUSS is probably most well-known for its spirited antics, it has become more than a cheering section, Davis said. The group has added charity projects to its rooting and tailgating commitments.

Earlier this year, students in the MUSS helped paint the house of a couple with special needs.

In November, students will take part in the Utah/BYU rivalry blood drive.

Today, however, the MUSS is focusing on recruiting.

“This is kind of our busiest week,” Whitchurch said.

By Tuesday night, the MUSS will have a fairly accurate idea of how many T-shirts it needs to print out.

Tuesday, Aug. 28 at midnight is the deadline for signing up with a seating group, Davis said.

Students wishing to join the MUSS can go to www.alumni.utah.edu/muss for more information.