Sleeping Giant fit for apocalypse

By Trevor Hale

The end of the world is nigh. It might not be today, it might not be tomorrow, but when the skies crash down, Sleeping Giant is ready, willing and able to write the soundtrack to the apocalypse.

Hailing from Redlands, Calif., birthplace of fellow up-and-coming Christian hardcore act xDEATHSTARx, Sleeping Giant wears its faith on its tattooed sleeves. The band’s debut, Dread Champions of the Last Days, was composed of anthems of sobriety, abstinence and religious dedication.

And what better way to convey deeply rooted convictions than through brutally guttural music? Salt Lake native Thom Green’s presence as Sleeping Giant’s front man plays a big part in the band’s appeal. Having successfully run a church in Redlands for a number of years, he began looking for other ways to spread the good word to a younger audience. Deciding that a band was the best option, Green gathered a few like-minded friends and Sleeping Giant was born.

Green (who was a founding member of local hardcore band Cherem) avoids the hardcore clichs usually present on a band’s debut by changing his vocal style fluidly. With chords capable of gut-wrenching screams, passionate spoken word and rock ‘n’ roll-influenced crooning, Green succeeds in convincingly conveying the passion of his stalwart convictions.

Blending hardcore, death metal, Southern rock, sludge and doom metal, Sleeping Giant has crafted a unique and powerful sound, worthy of its gargantuan name. Guitarists Corey Johnson and Geoff Brouillette trade heavily distorted riffs, seemingly battling for the most abrasive sound possible. The drums and the bass add another crushing dimension, bringing everything together and invoking the need for constant crowd interaction.

Recently signing to Christian-hardcore trend-maker Facedown Records (headmaster to fellow faith-based hardcore acts Seventh Star and Blood Sunday), Sleeping Giant seems determined to spread its message of faith to as broad an audience as possible.

On Sunday, the Giant’s discordant chorus will ring out through Salt Lake City’s Club Sound alongside locals Tamerlane, xReflectx and Xur. The reason? Long-time hardcore promoter/Cool Your Jets front man/local-hero-with-a-heart-of-gold Blake Foard is getting hitched. Come to celebrate his last few days of freedom and join in keeping the apocalypse at bay — at least until after the ceremony.