Rampton instrumental to U’s development

A friend of the U has passed on.

Cal Rampton, a three-term governor of the state of Utah, died Monday at the age of 93 after a battle with cancer.

Although most students at the U might are not familiar with Rampton, we should mourn his passing to the same degree as his close friends: with fond thoughts for a man who did many great things for us.

Called respectable and honest, and loved by those dear to him, Rampton was a man who helped shape the U into what it is today. During his first term in office, Rampton pushed through a bond of $65 million to update buildings on college and university campuses throughout Utah. Rampton foresaw the changes needed for the U to prepare for the presence of the baby-boomer generation and responded with by initiating a campus expansion.

When buildings in Fort Douglas were being torn down and replaced with newer buildings, Rampton stepped forward to save the historical area.

The land that now makes up Research Park and some of the Fort Douglas area was once coveted by real estate developers wanting to build mansions. Rampton made it a point to secure the land for use by the U instead.

Rampton is also considered the reason the U has Orson Spencer Hall and the buildings that house the business school and the school of education.

Many of Rampton’s influences are still benefiting our campus today. Historic buildings in Fort Douglas are used for student housing, forums, meetings and various events. Many students attend classes in the buildings he made a part of the campus.

In fact, what is perhaps the only downside in Rampton’s legacy at the U is that some of the land he helped secure in Research Park has been, and continues to be, sold for commercial purposes.

We at The Daily Utah Chronicle would like to thank Rampton. Though it is hardly recognized enough, not a day goes by where the life of a U student is not affected by the great contributions he made to our community. In the places we study, the rooms where some sleep and in the remaining space where we can enjoy nature’s simple beauties, we find the footprints of a visionary who helped make the U what it is today.

Rest in peace, Cal Rampton. You will surely be missed, and your kindness will never be forgotten.