Gun advocates say they are not ‘nuts.’

By Jennifer Winters

The Second Amendment Students of Utah want to change what they call myths about firearms.

“The biggest (misconception) is people who think that anyone who would like to have a gun is kind of nuts — an unintelligent hillbilly,” said Brent Tenney, president of the club.

Clark Aposhian, chair of Utah Shooting Sports Council (NRA’s affiliate in Utah) also disagrees with this stereotype.

“The students are passionate, intelligent and well versed on the subject,” Aposhian said. “They’re a group primarily concerned with the self-defense aspects of a student’s life.”

The group sparked controversy on campus by placing firearm replicas on a table the day Morgan Spurlock’s upcoming documentary about guns on campus was being filmed at the U.

During Spring Semester, the club joined other gun-rights groups to oppose the U’s ban on firearms. Club members met regularly to develop their debate points before speaking to the State Senate committee.

U students were present at that Senate meeting, but the Second Amendment Students were the only student-based club in attendance, Aposhian said.

“They fill a niche that other gun-rights groups just don’t have the ability to do,” Aposhian said. “They can eloquently voice a student’s concern for the ability of lawful self defense.”

In early October, the club plans to hold a class on concealed carry permits. The following month, they will host “A Day at the Range,” where students will be able to shoot clay pigeons. These activities are open to club members and nonmembers. Both events are still in the planning stages.

“People can expect to have a good time and learn more about safety firearms,” said Jared Sano, who has been a member of the club since it was formed last year. “They’ll have fun mingling with fellow students and gun enthusiasts.”

Although there is a pistol range on campus, housed in the Naval Science Building, students are not allowed to use the facility, Tenney said.

“It was a quick phone call,” Tenney said. “The person who answered the phone said we couldn’t use the range, without giving any reasons.”

Captain Timothy Lawrence, chair of the Naval Science Department, said the Utah Precision Marksmanship Society holds the lease and has set that policy.

The club practices at ranges located throughout the valley.