Bring on the ‘A’ game

By Jason Peterson

Each week, Utah’s secondary looks for an edge in order to slow down their opponents’ passing game.

Safeties Steve Tate and RJ Rice watch hours of film in hopes of predicting the quarterback’s next move. Corners Brice McCain and Sean Smith study up on opposing receivers’ running routes.

Tonight, the Utes will try their hand against the nation’s third-best passing attack in Louisville.

The secondary’s strategy for this week, however, might surprise most Ute fans: to stop Louisville’s running game.

“First and foremost, we’ve got to stop the run,” said Tate, Utah’s current leader in tackles. “I know that sounds weird, but Louisville does run the ball.”

Louisville is led by Heisman candidate Brian Brohm — college football’s seventh-ranked quarterback — who is averaging almost 400 yards and three touchdowns per game. Stopping Louisville’s running game, it seems, should be the least of the Utes’ worries.

“That’s our priority — If we stop the run, we force them to pass,” Smith said. “If we can’t stop the run, then why would they need to pass, you know?”

That’s right. The Utes would rather see Brohm throw the ball than run, and for a good reason. Utah’s pass-defense ranks ninth in the country. Their defense against the run, on the other hand, is 96th.

The Cardinals average just over 200 yards rushing per game. Combine that with Brohm’s arm and Louisville averages an absurd 595 yards each outing.

“We want them to play to our strengths so we have to be able to stop the run,” Rice said.

Make no mistake, the secondary unit expects its job to be more than just a walk in the park. Brohm has a slew of talented receivers in Harry Douglas, Mario Urrutia and JaJuan Spillman.

McCain has the unenviable task of shadowing Douglas, the nation’s second-best receiver with 679 yards in five games.

“Hands down, he’s the best I’ve faced,” McCain said.

Rice shakes his head each time he watches Brohm go to work dismantling opposing defenses, particularly against Syracuse when Brohm threw for 555 yards and four touchdowns. Rice hopes the Utes learn from the Syracuse team that still managed to upset Louisville on the road.

“I was watching film on him last night. He’s real good,” Rice said. “Definitely the best we’ve seen so far. We’re going to have to keep watching and try to find (ways to read him). Syracuse had a great mentality in that game and, you know, a lot of the game is mental.”

“He’s a big drink of water,” Tate said of Brohm. “We can’t just focus on him, though. Their whole receiving corps is talented.”

So is the Utes’ secondary, according to Smith. Asked if Syracuse’s upset over Louisville gives them confidence, Smith said they don’t need any more confidence than they already have.

“We already believe in ourselves,” Smith said. “We have a great secondary. We just gotta do what we do — execute. Make plays.”

Louisville certainly underestimated Syracuse two weeks ago. Will they glance at Utah’s underwhelming record and overlook the Utes as well?

“I hope not,” McCain said. “We want them bringing their ‘A’ game. We’re going to bring ours.”

Tyler Cobb

Steve Tate wraps up Utah State running back Derrvin Speight.