Jazz have second home tune-up tonight

By Jason Peterson

Over four games, Utah Jazz point guard Deron Williams is averaging roughly 12 points, four rebounds, 4.5 assists and almost 4 turnovers. These digits are a far cry from where he left off in May’s playoffs when Williams contributed an additional eight points and twice as many assists per game.

Jazz center Mehmet Okur is also well below last season’s numbers, putting up seven fewer points and three fewer rebounds over the same four games.

Six minutes into Monday night’s game against Phoenix, coach Jerry Sloan had to bench Carlos Boozer as his All-Star forward huffed and puffed to keep up with the streaking Suns.

After Boozer left, the Jazz hit a sour note the rest of the night with ugly play and sloppy teamwork. Raja Bell torched his former team for 24 points on 5-6 three-point shooting, Leandro Barbosa added 20, and Phoenix went on to thrash the Jazz, 124-101.

Utah, at 2-2, is playing 0.500 ball. A loss to tonight’s opponents — the Philadelphia 76ers (0-3) — would give the Jazz something they haven’t tasted since April of 2006: a losing record.

What does this all mean?

Absolutely nothing. It’s preseason.

Okur and Williams are getting fewer minutes, while Boozer just rejoined the team after watching over his son, Carmani, who is stricken with sickle cell anemia. Monday night was his first chance to get some burn on the floor.

Okur assures that all is well in Jazz-land.

“Our chemistry is great, and we’ve got some new faces,” he said. “I don’t feel any pressure to repeat (what we did) last year.”

Sloan, though upset with the effort the Jazz have been putting into the games after a strong showing at camp, also isn’t feeling the heat to repeat last year’s run to the Western Conference Finals.

“It’s a new season. Nobody (in the NBA) cares about what we did last season,” Sloan said. “(The fans) expect us to win it all now. That’s fine. I like that. We should have those expectations of ourselves.”

For now, Sloan will use the preseason to experiment with the new faces, namely free agent pickups Jason Hart and Ronnie Price and rookies Morris Almond and Kyrylo Fesenko. Don’t forget walk-on hopefuls Damone Brown, Kevin Lyde and Donnell Harvey.

Sophomores Ronnie Brewer and Paul Millsap are two of the Jazz’s bright spots so far this month. Brewer is among the NBA’s preseason scoring leaders with nearly 20 points per contest. Millsap picked up where he left off as MVP of the Rocky Mountain Revue (RMR), averaging 11 points and seven rebounds.

But, again, it’s preseason — a fact that might be inflating Brewer’s and Millsap’s numbers as they face second-tier competition each night. Nevertheless, several sporting websites have placed Brewer on the watch list for Most Improved Player this season.

The struggling 76ers will provide another opportunity for Jazz youngsters to showcase their wares. Philadelphia is in full-on rebuilding mode and they have a stable full of young, yet undeveloped, talent.

The 76ers are led by budding star Andre Iguodala, veteran point (and former Ute) Andre Miller and sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Nearly all of the team has two years or less of experience in the league.

Guard Louis Williams is an up-and-coming scorer in the mold of predecessor Allen Iverson. Williams and fellow teammate Louis Amundson made the RMR’s All-Revue team in July.

Sophomore Rodney Carney struggled to get off the bench his rookie season but remains a long-distance shooting threat for the Sixers.

Philadelphia also has arguably the most talented trio of rookies in Jason Smith, Thaddeus Young and second-rounder Herbert Hill.

While expectations are fairly low for the Sixers this season, the team is young and athletic and can surprise anyone. Expect coach Maurice Cheeks to employ a fast-paced offense centered around Iguodala’s slashing and ability to kick it out to Korver or Carney.

Win or lose tonight, however, the Jazz believe they’ll be ready to go for the season opener against Golden State on Oct. 30 — when the record becomes official.

Lennie Mahler

Ronnie Brewer is looking like a bright spot on the Jazz this season, his preseason performance has got him placed on the NBA most improved player watch list.