MWC Power Rankings

No. 1 Brigham Young (4-2, 3-0 MWC) Next: 10/20 East. Washington

The Cougars have proven to be the most consistent team in the MWC week in and week out thus far. BYU has a good chance at going 3-0 over the softest part of its schedule. The Cougars must improve during that stretch because they will face TCU, Wyoming and Utah in the final leg of the season.

No. 2 Air Force (5-2, 4-1 MWC) Next: 10/20 Wyoming

The Falcons have stuck to their guns and pounded teams with the rush. It’s worked. Beside having MWC Offensive Player of the Week Chad Hall — who rushed for 256 yards last week — dominating opposing defenses, the Falcons also lead the MWC in rushing and rank third in total offense.

No. 3 Wyoming (4-2, 1-1 MWC) Next: 10/20 @ Air Force

Wyoming gets a pass for dropping its first home game of the season against New Mexico. The brutal weather was going to nip one of the teams, and it turns out Wyoming was the team that fell victim. The Cowboys have looked solid all season, and one fluke loss doesn’t dampen the Cowboys’ place in the conference.

No. 4 New Mexico (4-2, 1-1 MWC) Next: 10/20 @ San Diego St.

Wyoming was the Lobos’ first quality victory of the season, but the weather better explains the Cowboys’ offensive struggles than New Mexico’s defense. Unfortunately, beating the Aztecs this week won’t lend a hand to their cause, but the Lobos can’t overlook them as they still have a chance to make noise in the MWC.

No. 5 Utah (4-3, 1-2 MWC) Next: 10/18 @ TCU

The Utes have found a way to hit a bit of a stride despite some serious injuries and major blows to their confidence. Beating TCU in Texas on national television will be the exclamation point that Ute players and their fans are looking for this season. A win keeps them in the hunt, while a loss all but ends their MWC crown hopes.

No. 6 Texas Christian (4-3, 1-2 MWC) Next: 10/18 Utah

The Horned Frogs face a similar situation to their opponent this week. Win, and hope still floats. Lose, and MWC title hopes go out the window. TCU has been sliding as of late and will be attempting to gain footing against a Ute team that has found a way to make statements in games that they’ve been underdogs.

No. 7 UNLV (2-5, 1-2 MWC) Next: 10/20 Colorado St.

This week is an interesting test for the Rebels. They face a team they should beat in Colorado State, but the Rams are also a team that is liking its chances to win its first game of the season. If UNLV prevails, it could be what the Rebels need to climb out of the MWC cellar they’ve been hiding in over the past few seasons.

No. 8 San Diego State (2-4, 1-1 MWC) Next: 10/20 New Mexico

Funny thing about the Aztecs is how exciting it should be that LB Russell Allen broke a 36-year-old school record with 22 tackles against Utah. The problems is nobody else on the team could bring anyone down, which means Allen had to make 22 tackles to keep SDSU in the game.

No. 9 Colorado State (0-6, 0-3) Next: 10/20 @ UNLV

Nothing is more surprising in the MWC this year than the fact that the Rams have yet to win a football game. Their defense, which ranks among the best in the conference in yardage allowed, still gives up a MWC-high 32.7 points per game. The Rams have yet to face the brunt of their conference schedule yet, which makes a two- or three-win season unlikely.