Buddies gather to raise awareness about the disabled

By Edgar Zuniga Jr.

More than 150 people gathered Thursday night to spread awareness and raise funds for Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization that fosters friendship between people with intellectual disabilities and non-disabled individuals. The organization, founded by Anthony Kennedy Shriver in 1989, also provides opportunities for employment. More than 1,300 chapters of the organization are now operating in middle schools, high schools and colleges around the country, including 15 chapters along the Wasatch Front.

“(Best Buddies) helps because people with intellectual disabilities are the most isolated people in the world,” said Justin Haskell, president of Best Buddies Utah. “Best Buddies brings them friendship and enhances the life of those without disabilities. (Volunteers) will get more than what they give with Best Buddies. It’ll change their lives.”

Haskell first volunteered with Best Buddies seven years ago. He created a deep friendship with his buddy and they are still very good friends.

“It’s a great opportunity to learn, become more aware and learn about yourself. I’ve gained a good friend, Charlie,” said Chris Lowe, a senior in biology and director for the U’s Best Buddies chapter. “I’ve learned a lot more about people with disabilities and how to help.”

A photographic mosaic representing Best Buddies participants covered the walls of Rice-Eccles Stadium’s Scholarship Room, where the event took place, while attendees bid on items in a silent auction and met one another. Many of the attendees exchanged the greeting “I see you,” a traditional African phrase that Best Buddies uses because members feel it validates everyone.

Sujeet Desai, a musician from New York who has Down syndrome, came to entertain the audience. Desai plays the piano and five other instruments.

“I wanted to come and share my music with other people with disabilities,” Desai said.

The event honored former Gov. Olene Walker for her service to people with disabilities as well as Mason Schmutz and Dustin Forsyth, Best Buddies participants from Brigham Young University. The two have been friends for three years.

“It’s a great program that gives self-esteem to those with disabilities,” Walker said. “At Best Buddies, (disabled individuals) have a friend who truly cares about them, and it’s a really unique friendship. Both are giving and caring. That’s important.”

Best Buddies chapters are currently seeking more volunteers, especially on college campuses.

“We’re trying to encourage college kids to become involved with Best Buddies,” said Kerri Cronk, a FOX 13 morning news anchor. “We had a couple of people on the show, and I thought it was an awesome program. It’s beneficial for everybody, and it’s great to give back to the community. I just love it.”

Buddy pairs get together twice a month, and then they report to their chapter. Students can meet with their buddies whenever it is most convenient.

Students interested in becoming involved with the U’s Best Buddy chapter can contact Lowe through the chapter’s e-mail, [email protected].

For further information, visit www.bestbuddiesutah.org.

Jarad Reddekopp

Dustin Forsyth and Mason Schmutz receive the “Buddy Pair of the Year Award” during the Best Buddies ceremony. Forsyth and Schmutz met in the Best Buddies program and have been buddies for more than 3 years.