Jazz take three-game winning streak into New York

By Jason Peterson

The Utah Jazz had several reasons to be thankful for Friday night’s 99-71 win over the upstart New Orleans Hornets.

Two of those reasons were backup point guards Jason Hart and Ronnie Price, who combined for 23 points in 35 minutes off the bench. Their energetic play sparked a 10-2 run to close a lethargic first half for both teams. The run also gave the Jazz a 44-43 halftime lead.

The two free agent pick-ups this summer gave Utah the momentum that would set up a 55-28 advantage in the final two quarters.

Many had anticipated a showdown between Utah’s Deron Williams and New Orleans’ Chris Paul, who have been linked together since being drafted third and fourth, respectively, in 2005’s NBA Draft. But neither played a particularly strong game, opening the door for Hart and Price to steal the spotlight.

“(Hart) and (Price) were the stars tonight,” said Paul, who scored 15 points with six assists and six rebounds. “They were the difference makers.”

As for his matchup with Williams, who scored 12 points and added seven dimes of his own, Paul had little to say.

“They won the game, you know what I mean?” he said.

Carlos Boozer, who led all scorers with 19 points and controlled the glass with 16 rebounds, offered more insight on the duo’s ongoing battle for supremacy.

“Any time your team wins, you did the better job,” Boozer said. “That’s how I look at it.”

Price was certainly thankful for the season-high 16 minutes he logged, but was quick to praise his teammates for helping him reach a season-high 12 points, including a pair of 3-pointers in the fourth period.

“If my name is called, I have to be ready,” Price said. “Coach (Jerry) Sloan prepares us all, and my teammates make it easier for guys to step in and play.”

David West led New Orleans with 18 points and 14 rebounds. Paul and center Tyson Chandler (12 points, seven rebounds) were the only other Hornets to score in double figures.

The Jazz also benefited from the Hornets’ miserable 33 percent shooting from the field, including a 1-for-17 performance from beyond the arc .

“It was an off night,” Paul said of his club’s play. “Every time I pass it to them, I think it’s going in — they gotta keep shooting. (But) when you miss a shot, you tend to lose confidence.”

Utah traveled to Detroit for an early Sunday afternoon game with the Pistons. Again, the Jazz used a strong run going into halftime and eventually held on to win 103-93.

Utah took an eight-point deficit and tore through the Pistons for a 20-7 run to take a 57-50 lead into the half. Williams already had a double-double with 12 of his 21 points and 10 of his 14 assists by halftime.

Boozer scored a season-high 36 points on 17-of-20 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds, and the Jazz continued their recent dominance of the Pistons, winning their fifth straight — and seventh in eight tries — against Detroit.

The Jazz continue their three-game road swing tonight at New York. The Knicks, at 3-9, have been embroiled in controversy all season with coach Isiah Thomas’ sexual harassment lawsuit and Stephon Marbury’s refusal to show up at practice.

Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. MST.

Lennie Mahler

Deron Williams drives past Chris Paul in Friday’s 99-71 win against the New Orleans Hornets at EnergySolutions Arena.