Romney adds religion box to House application

By Lauren Mueller

There will be no Muslims in Mitt Romney’s cabinet. At least, that’s the word on the street, the blogosphere, the 24-hour news channels and last week’s Republican debate. This Ken Doll candidate has apparently been stripped of his original packaging by way of seemingly anti-Islamic comments made to various open ears over the course of several months.

If nothing else, we can give Romney credit for showing steadfastness on an issue other than the sheen of his lacquered, salt-and-pepper mane. When this presidential hopeful isn’t busy showing off his fake tan to Iowans, you can bet he’s talking about radical Muslims. At least now, we know Romney wastes time distinguishing between Muslims and fundamentalist Muslims in rhetoric only. It’s funny, because you’d think Mitt would be a little more sensitive to a mainstream faith that is perpetually and erroneously coupled with its dangerous, fundamentalist offshoot.

The former Massachusetts governor often refers to the threat of jihadism as this century’s “modern nightmare” and has pledged to focus his potential presidency on that issue. In accordance with this campaign promise, Romney appeared in a series of television ads in which he traipses across a lawn as manicured as the politico himself in a tranquil suburban neighborhood, spouting Republican-style diplomacy, such as, “Jihadists (will)…collapse freedom-loving nations like ours.” It’s nice to know Romney supported the writers’ strike by constructing his own parody.

Neither Romney nor his camp have denied the comments made at the recent fundraiser but have equivocated nonetheless. The presidential candidate hardly sees a need to give a voice to this section of the American population with a Muslim cabinet member given the relatively insignificant number of Muslims residing in this country — although there are millions more than there are Mormons. The campaign has since tried flipping the argument, saying that Romney doesn’t consider ethnicity or religion in job assignments. That’s right — non-whites and non-Christians need not apply.

In addition to Romney’s recent comment, two Nevadans reported having heard similar remarks from the candidate months ago. After denying the relevance of a Muslim presence in his cabinet, Romney allegedly said something to the effect of, “They’re radicals. There’s no talking to them. There’s no negotiating with them.” Granted, these remarks were paraphrased by both audience members, but I think we get the picture.

The only thing more disheartening than hearing an educated man openly spewing the type of intolerance that lessens this country’s standing in the rest of the world is realizing that being a bigoted xenophobe doesn’t necessarily discount you from the job of leader of the free world.

Or, didn’t you know? Since Sept. 11, 2001, discriminating against Muslims or even non-Muslims who happen to look the part isn’t called racism. It’s called strengthening America.