International Soccer: USA plays Mexico to a draw

By Timothy Haslam

Decked out in their new kits, the United States Men’s National soccer team looked great, both in style and play.

In the end, the new look USA could only muster a 2-2 tie against border rival Mexico in an international friendly on Wednesday night in Houston, Texas. The first goal of the game came in the 30th minute from United States defender Oguchi Onyewu. Onyewu threw the ball in from the sideline which was punched out from Mexican goalkeeper, Guillermo Ochoa. Ochoa punched it to Landon Donovan who then flicked it over his head to Onyewu who then used his height to head the ball in over the Mexican defense.

Mexican defender Jonny Magellon managed to even the score in the 35th minute off a free kick just outside of the penalty box. Mexico midfielder Pavel Padro played a nice ball just in front of the goal and Magellon stuck out his leg and redirected the ball into the back of the net. US forward Jozy Altidore, in his first start for the senior squad, notched a goal in the 40th minute off a hard cross from defender Drew Moor.

A controversial goal was called back for the Yanks in the 42nd minute, when forward Clint Dempsey–who looked to be onside–trapped a long through ball, broke through two defenders and drove the ball into the back of the net. The goal was called back though because of an offsides infraction.

Mexico started the second half with vengeance and quickly knotted the score at 2-2. Magellon scored his second goal of the match off a corner kick in the 47th minute. The ball was crossed in and the United States failed to clear it, leaving a wide open gap for Magellon to knock the ball into the goal.

After a slew of substitutes around the 65th minute, the play on the field began to get passionate. Mexico was looking for its first win on American soil in nine games. The United States were looking to keep their recent success against Mexico alive.

Many late tackles and cheap shots were dealt by both teams as they scrambled for the ball. Mexico had several chances to score in the last ten minutes, but the United States defense played well enough to stifle the attack. The sold-out crowd of more than 70,000 people witnessed another classic game between the two sides.