Progressive conference will focus on Iraq, global warming, health care

By Edgar Zuniga Jr.

The Wasatch Coalition for Peace and Justice will hold a conference this weekend at the U titled “The Progressive Agenda for 2008.”

The events will focus on U.S. withdrawal from Iraq, environmentally sustainable energy policies and national health care reform. The conference will open Feb. 8 at 9 p.m. with Utah’s premiere screening of “Meeting Resistance,” a film about Iraqis who oppose U.S. occupation. Filmmakers Molly Bingham and Steve Connors will participate in a panel discussion afterward.

On Feb. 9 Larry Lohmann, a British environmental activist, will speak after a screening of Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” at 9 a.m. In the afternoon, attendees will watch a screening of Michael Moore’s “SiCKO,” and then Donna Smith, who is part of the nationwide “Sicko Tour,” will speak to the audience.

The conference will include myriad of workshops, panels and forums focusing on issues, such as the crisis in Pakistan, nuclear weapons and global warming.

The screenings will be held in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium. Other events will be held in various rooms throughout OSH. Utah Jobs with Justice and We the People for People and Justice are also organizing the conference.

For more information, visit www.agenda08.org.