Five reasons to get off your couch

Fri., Feb. 8

SLC Film Center Presents: “Meeting Resistance”Free7 p.m.OSH (260 S. Central Campus Drive)

Photojournalists/directors Steve Connors and Molly Bingham spent 10 months among the insurgents of Baghdad to create this unique, yet horrifying, compelling and insightful film about their lives, motivation and goals. Bingham, who was held at Abu Ghraib for eight days by Iraqi government security services in 2003, has worked as a photojournalist since 1994 and began reporting on the Middle East after covering the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon. Connors has worked for Time, Newsweek and The New York Times in the United States. He has also worked for The Guardian, The Observer and The Daily Telegraph in London and Der Spiegel, Stern and Paris in Europe. Both will be on hand for a Q&A session.

Sat., Feb. 9

Chinese New Year’s CelebrationFree1:30 p.m.The Salt Lake City Public Library (210 E. 400 South)

According to the Chinese zodiac calendar, rats are leaders, pioneers and conquerors. Saturday will see the celebration of these traits as Salt Lake City ushers in the Year of the Rat at the Salt Lake City Public Library with traditional dancers, decor and more! Just beware of the true rats in the crowd because while lauded for their charisma, charm and ambition, those bearing the rodent designation also possess manipulative, cruel and vengeful potential.

Mon., Feb. 11

Harlem Globetrotters7 p.m.$16 to $110EnergySolutions Arena (301 W. South Temple)

In its 80-plus-year history, the Harlem Globetrotters have never lost a game. This feat might seem unbelievable but the ‘Trotters are so skilled in their trade that not only do they win, they win while performing some of the most mind-blowing sports trickery ever witnessed on the court. Alley-oops abound. Shimmering Nikes sink expertly executed 3-point kicks. Basketballs whirl between legs, around shoulders and behind backs but always end up nothing-but-net. Sadly to every shining yin, there’s a shadowed yang and the Washington Generals have stood, since 1962, as the Globetrotters’ consistently-crushed, lesser halves. Forty-six years of defeat have bred a victory-hungry beast though, so Monday night at EnergySolutions Arena, the Globetrotters might just meet their final match.

Tue., Feb. 12

HOW-TO Tuesdays: How to Pick the Right ChocolateFree7 p.m.The Salt Lake City Public Library (210 E. 400 South)

Take Five recently received an interesting tip: women actually do want all that cheesy Valentine’s crap on Valentine’s Day. Roses, check. Teddy bears, check. Intimate apparel, check. And heart-shaped boxes of chocolate? Definite check. Luckily for all you hopeless romantics out there, the Salt Lake City Public Library’s HOW-TO Tuesday series will give you the scoop on the finest in fruity, froufrou sweets to wrap up for this year’s sweetheart. So, ditch the leftovers from her Christmas list and get with tradition because the right V-Day gifts can elicit immediate benefits.

Tue., Feb. 12

SLC Film Center Presents: “Bonneville”7 p.m.FreeSandy Center Cinemas (7670 S. Union Park Ave.)

Salt Lake City Film Center will present a special Utah premier of the Utah-filmed, feel-good road trip epic “Bonneville” at Sandy Center Cinemas on Tuesday. Directed by Christoper N. Rowley and starring Christine Baranski (“Chicago,” “Cruel Intentions”), Tom Amandes (“Everwood”) and Kathy Bates (“Misery,” “Titanic,” etc., etc., etc.), “Bonneville” promises to deliver. Producers Robert May and Maddy Dychtwald will be on hand.