Softball: Utes dominate weekend softball competition

By Jason Peterson

The U softball team won all five games this weekend in St. George’s Red Desert Classic.

New head coach and former U standout Amy Hogue earned her first wins and quickly established a dominating style of play to open the season — a far cry from last year’s losing record of 25-26-1.

Over the five-game stretch, the U outscored their opponents 32-6.

On Friday, the Utes beat Wisconsin, 3-1, behind the strength of ace pitcher Ashley Smuda’s two-hitter performance. Smuda, a sophomore transfer from Temple, chucked nine strikeouts in the game, helping to erase doubts whether the U’s thin, inexperienced pitching staff could perform early in the season.

“I am really proud of how we competed hard the entire game on defense,” Hogue said. “For Ashley to throw a two-hitter is great.”

When Smuda needed a breather, freshman sensation Brittany Parker proved a fully capable backup, picking up her first collegiate save by coming in against Rhode Island to seal a 10-4 victory when the game was undecided.

“It became obvious that Ashley was tired,” Hogue said. “We have relied on her all weekend, and she’s done a great job. Brittany came through for us late in the game. She got the win with a vengeance.”

Staci Hemingway provided plenty of power at the plate, going 5-for-7 in her first two games, including a grand slam in the sixth inning. Hemingway finished with two runs and four RBIs.

On Saturday, Smuda and sophomore pitcher Haili Squire pitched a one-hitter and shut down SUU, 9-0.

This time, shortstop Sharee Fonoti stepped up for the U by belting the team’s second grand slam in as many games.

Kristie Keller contributed two more runs on 3-of-4 hitting while third baseman Angie Boardman went 2-for-2 with two RBIs.

The second half of Saturday’s double-header resulted in a 4-1 win over Idaho State. Outfielder Kara Foster scored twice and batted in one more.

The Utes wrapped things up on Sunday with a 6-0 shutout over Northern Colorado. Devina Quintero, Hailey Davenport, Hemingway and Keller each contributed to a 4-0 start in the first inning.

“Once we got on the board, everything broke open,” Hogue said. “I’m really proud of how (hard) we competed.”

Utah next faces another five-game outing this weekend in Tempe, Ariz., for the Kajikawa Classic. Opponents include Notre Dame, Texas State, Texas Tech, Western Michigan and Oregon State.