Softball: Utes “can play with anyone”

By Jason Peterson

The U softball team began the season 5-0 in last week’s Red Desert Classic, the hottest start since 1985, when the team went on to compete in the Women’s College World Series.

Starting pitcher Ashley Smuda pitched in all five games and allowed two runs in 18 innings pitched.

It was only a matter of time before Smuda and the rest of her teammates returned to earth as they went 2-3 over last weekend’s Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

“These teams were definitely tougher than last week’s teams, but I thought our girls really stepped up and played well,” first baseman Kara Foster said. “We were right there with Notre Dame and Oregon State the whole time. We just couldn’t capitalize on scoring with runners on base.”

On Friday, the Utes split a pair, dropping their first loss of the season to the Fighting Irish, 6-2, and beating Texas State, 10-8.

The Utes managed three hits off of Notre Dame pitcher Brittney Bargar. Foster hit a pair of home runs, and outfielder Kelly Mathews was the only other player to tally a hit.

Second baseman Staci Hemingway led the Utes with two home runs and five RBIs against Texas State. Foster went 3-for-4 and added two more RBIs.

The story was much the same on Saturday with the Utes splitting another doubleheader.

Outfielder Kristie Keller hit two doubles in her four at-bats and finished with four RBIs to lead the Utes past Texas Tech. Smuda pitched all seven innings while allowing four hits to record her fourth win of the season.

Saturday afternoon’s game saw Utah holding on to a 2-1 lead over Western Michigan heading into the fifth inning. The Broncos exploded at the bottom of the fifth with four runs, including a three-run home run by Amanda Gelder.

Foster hit a solo home run in the sixth inning for a late rally, but the Bronco’s walked away with a 5-3 victory.

Utah’s final opponent in the tournament was also its most daunting so far this season — 25th ranked Oregon State.

After scoring three runs in the first inning, the Beavers were held scoreless the rest of the way. It turned out those three runs were enough to beat the Utes, 3-2. Smuda gave up just four hits to the Beavers for a 0.170 batting average.

Utah’s Bonnie Muir tripled to right field to bring in Foster for the Utes’ first run in the fourth inning. Hemingway singled to right field the next inning for another RBI, this time with outfielder Diana Phillips crossing home plate.

“We just got ourselves into certain situations that we couldn’t pull out of,” Foster said of falling behind early in the game. “I think if we keep working on our reps, we can be a great team. We’re a Division-I team, and we know we can play with anyone.”