Rugby disappoints early in playoffs

By Jason Peterson

Like a glass ceiling that came raining down in pieces, the U rugby team’s hopes for a deep run in the USA Rugby/National Guard playoffs precipitated back to earth with a pair of heartbreaking losses over the weekend.

Despite successfully enduring a season full of injuries to key players — including All-Americans Cam Kiser and Andrew Swindle — the Scrummin’ Utes had built up high expectations, climbing to a No. 5 national ranking and 13-4 record.

Unfortunately for Utah, those injuries caught up and forced less-experienced backups into the lineup. On Friday, against first-round opponent Colorado, it was either make or break for the Utes in the one-game elimination playoffs, and they fell.

“In the end, I think it was injuries and inexperience that hurt us,” Utah assistant coach Blake Burdette said. “We had a lot of unforced errors.”

Flyhalf Mike Harman scored two tries and flanker Mike Kimball and wing Jeff Beck each scored another, but the Utes fell to No. 6 Colorado, 31-30.

After falling behind 14-8 at the half, the Utes reeled off 22 points to stay in the game. Each team scored four tries, but the Buffaloes converted for extra points on all four while Utah converted on two.

“Colorado has been playing very well all year, and I think they just kind of blew up on us,” Burdette said.

In Saturday’s consolation game, the Utes took on No. 18 Minnesota, which fell to Penn State in Friday’s Round of 16.

Utah struggled to get going against the scrappy club and were outscored in both halves, eventually losing 31-18.

Wings Redge Benheim and Matt Byrd each scored a try while Scott Cowley and Harman contributed with a drop kick.

“We faced a very determined and underrated Minnesota team,” Burdette said. “Give them credit.”

As for his own club, Burdette said they will have their work cut out for them this summer in preparation for next season.

“We still have a lot to learn as far as being mentally prepared when faced with adversity,” Burdette said. “At the same time, I think we gave our young players a chance to gain some valuable experience for next year.”

Senior and team captain Jake Anderson will not be returning next year along with Benheim, Byrd, Cowley, Kiser and prop Nate Herrscher.

The Ute roster still features plenty of returning talent, including Harman, Swindle, lock Chase Jardine and centers Kave Lauti and Matt Wunderli.

“Even though we’re losing a number of great seniors, we still have a lot of young talent, and we should be really competitive next year,” Burdette said.

Rugby looks to next season

U rubgy closely defeated

Rugby loses twice in playoffs

Rugby has high hopes for next season