Bean: High gas costs encourages cleaner transportation

By Alex Bean

Just a few weeks ago, during General Motors Corp.’s annual stockholder meeting, CEO Rick Wagoner announced GM would be halting production at four of its U.S. truck plants. He cited “the rapid industry shift away from trucks and SUVs” as the reason for doing so.

It’s no surprise consumers are being scared away, considering skyrocketing gas prices and the less-than-impressive gas mileage of trucks and sport utility vehicles. The popular Ford F-150 costs a whopping $104 to fill up, assuming a cost of $4 per gallon of gas. With only 14 miles per gallon, the truck will probably be filled up a couple of times a month, racking up a huge monthly bill.

With gas prices across the valley hovering around $4 a gallon, Utahns are finally starting to catch on and change the way they travel. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, we can expect gas prices to stay above $4 for the remainder of the year.

Mike Wetzel of Vespa Scooters in Salt Lake City reported that sales of Vespas are up in recent months, coinciding with recent jumps in gas prices. This, combined with the sharp drop in sales of trucks and SUVs, seems to indicate a change of heart in the way Utahns choose to transport themselves.

The trend away from huge SUVs and trucks is a good start for change, but there’s a lot more that can be done. For students living in the city, there’s really no excuse for not using mass transit. TRAX has four stops on campus, making it easy to get anywhere at the U.

For those not immediately near a TRAX stop, the bus system in downtown runs frequently, making it easy to catch a bus up to campus. Considering the U gives all students a UTA pass at the beginning of the year, it just makes sense to use mass transit.

Riding a bike or even walking is the best way to cut gas consumption. Bicycles are a quick and efficient way to get from place to place. Along with riding it to a TRAX station, if not all the way to school, why not try riding it to the grocery store? A bike might not be able to carry a full load of groceries, so try stocking up for just a few days of food instead of a week or two. Not only does riding a bike save a fortune on gas, but it also cuts down on green house gas emissions, which contribute to climate change.

It’s an unfortunate aspect of the American lifestyle that we rely so much on our cars. For all the talk and positive attitudes now associated with going green, actually doing it is quite a bit more difficult. It’s not easy to sacrifice convenience. But in the face of rising gas prices, Utahns must learn to drive a little less and find cheaper, cleaner ways to travel.