The Edge: Utah Utes vs Michigan Wolverines

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

Quarterback

The Utes have Brian Johnson, a guy that was ranked No. 4 in all-purpose yardage in 2005. Michigan is currently sporting a double-headed monster of redshirt sophomore Nick Sheridan and redshirt freshman Steven Threet. Neither has ever started a college game in their young careers. While Johnson has tremendous explosiveness and talent, he is severely injury-prone. After busting onto the scene as a freshman in 2005, he has yet been able to match his impressive numbers. Johnson will look to commence his senior year with a bang and, most importantly, in winning fashion.
Edge: Utah

Running back

It’s a matchup of brute power versus explosiveness and speed. The Utes’ main features are last year’s surprises, Darrell Mack and Matt Asiata. Mack was the ninth Ute in team history to rush for 1,000 yards, while Asiata, last year’s opening-day starter, broke his leg in the first half against Oregon State. The two brutes for the Utes will look to wear down the strong defensive line of Michigan. In the backfield for the Wolverines, head coach Rich Rodriguez has left four young, talented backs in his depth chart. Freshmen Michael Shaw and YouTube sensation Sam McGuffie will spearhead the speed and open-field explosiveness, while juniors Brandon Minor and Carlos Brown will provide the bruising inside runs against the Ute defense.
Edge: Even

Wide receiver

Michigan comes into the season having lost two legitimate NFL-caliber wideouts. Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington left for the NFL last year, and now the Wolverines are fairly young at one of their most prestigious positions. Junior Greg Matthews is the most experienced at the position, with a career total of 434 yards and three touchdowns. Other notables are LaTerryal Savoy, Darryl Stonum and talented freshman Martavious Odoms. On the flip, the Utes return four or five seasoned vets and add a couple young, talented wideouts. The ones who will be snagging catches from Johnson will be the fearsome foursome of seniors Brent Casteel, Bradon Godfrey, Freddie Brown and John Peel. The Utes’ fleet-footed receivers, Jereme Brooks and Poinsettia Bowl standout Elijah Wesson, will be lining up often in offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig’s spread offense.
Edge: Utah

Offensive line

The Michigan front five are indeed monsters of the Midwest. Not one starting O-liner is shorter than 6 feet 4 inches. The line will be led by juniors Mark Ortmann and Tim McAvoy, standing at 6 feet 7 inches and 6 feet 6 inches, respectively. As for the Utes, they boast offensive co-captain and preseason All-Conference pick senior guard Robert Conley. Joining alongside Conley are notable sophomore center Zane Taylor and sophomore left guard Caleb Schlauderaff.
Edge: Even

Defensive line

The one spot the U will not be able to match up is on the defensive line. While the Utes will be sporting impressive linemen such as Paul Kruger and Aaron Tonga, the Wolverines counteract with renowned players such as Tim Jamison, Brandon Graham and Terrence Taylor. Graham is the top returning sack leader with 8.5 sacks. Jamison and Taylor are both three-year lettermen, while Jamison is currently active career leader in sacks. The loss of impact linemen such as Martail Burnett and Gabe Long will be hard for the Utes to replace this season.
Edge: Michigan

Linebacker

When it comes to comparing the linebacking corps, it essentially comes down to a 1-vs-1. It’s Michigan middle linebacker Obi Ezeh, the Wolverines’ top returning tackler and 2007 Freshman All-American, pitted against all-MWC candidate Stevenson Sylvester. Sylvester, who was recently named to the Butkus Award Watch List, was named defensive co-captain and was second on the team in tackles and tackles for loss. Alongside Sylvester will be experienced backers Kepa Gaison, Mo Neal, Jamel King and Koa Misi.
Edge: Utah

Secondary

Utah and Michigan are practically mirror images of one another. This position boasts the most athletic portion of both teams. Michigan has two legitimate shutdown corners in Morgan Trent and Donovan Warren. The senior Trent has been named to the Jim Thorpe Award List, while freshman Warren started an astounding 11 of 13 games last year, earning him 2007 Freshman All-American honors. Senior Brandon Harrison and junior Stevie Brown will be the starting safeties. Flip the coin, and you have arguably the best secondary the Utes have ever had. Lining up against the Michigan receivers will be the other defensive co-captain, senior corner Brice McCain and junior corner Sean Smith. Last season the U was in the top 10 in pass defense, and a large part of that was due to the emergence of safeties Robert Johnson and Joe Dale. Johnson became an instant star after his electric performance against UCLA last year, while Dale was named the Poinsettia Bowl defensive MVP.
Edge: Utah, because they go up against a newbie QB.

Special Teams

The Utes are sporting an All-American punter and kicker in Louie Sakoda. He is currently the U’s career leader in field goal percentage at 83 percent. For Michigan, they have fifth-year senior K.C. Lopata, the team’s top returning scorer from last season. When it comes to returning, the Wolverines may have an edge on the Utes. They will be using Trent, Warren and Harrison primarily on kickoff and punt returns. Candidates for the Utes will be Jereme Brooks, incoming JC wideout David Reed and senior big-play maker Brent Casteel.
Edge: Even

Coaching

It comes down to alpha male versus alpha male. U head coach Kyle Whittingham is a no-nonsense coach who is particularly focused on winning football games. Newly-appointed Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez has been known to run drills with his players and celebrate animatedly. After an ugly divorce with West Virginia and losing an incredible amount of talent, Rodriguez is looking to build his own tradition at Michigan. Whittingham and his staff have managed to book very impressive non-conference games during his tenure as head coach. But Whittingham has been with his crew and program for five years, and Rodriguez has to live up to his high-profile billing8212;fast.
Edge: Utah