U Book released to build student traditions

By H. Rachelle Graham, Staff Writer

There is now a resource available for students who aren’t sure what is offered on campus8212;the U Book.

The Student Alumni Board of the U Alumni Association and U publishers wrote and produced the U Book, which includes an “essential guide for freshmen” with information on student groups, scholarships, academic resources, athletics, social and cultural events, a campus map and U history.

The 100-page book is devoted to building U traditions, and includes a section of 50 traditions students can complete on campus to receive special recognition from the Alumni Association, ranging from attending the Homecoming dance to going to a U rugby match or eating at The Pie.

Students can take pictures of themselves completing the traditions and paste them in the U Book to achieve different levels of recognition.

Students can receive U pins from the Alumni Association for each 25 traditions they complete. Those who complete 45 traditions receive a crimson medallion and all 50 traditions will be recognized at a yearly Alumni Association event.

“The U book will hopefully get people more connected to different traditions on campus,” said Brent Schmidt, a senior in Spanish and president of the Student Alumni Association.

Remi Barron, a U spokesman, said the target audience of the U book is incoming freshmen and new transfer students, who can receive the book for free. Students in the MUSS can also get their books for free when they pick up football tickets. Returning students can buy the book for $8 from the Alumni Association. The book is available at the Alumni House.

Barron said the book is intended to help do away with the misconception that the U is only a commuter school. He said the book should make it easier for U students to learn about participating in events and activities on campus.

“It is a big school and it is spread out,” he said. “There is a lot going on and we just didn’t want it to be difficult for new students to figure out how to participate. (With) this book, they will have a handle on things right away.”

John Fackler, director of Alumni Relations, said there are too many students who attend classes from freshman year to graduation and have no idea what is going on around campus.

“They take classes (and) maybe they stroll over to the Union building once and awhile,” he said. “They do not know how to get involved in student organizations. The book is telling you to get involved.”

Fallon Terry, a sophomore in English, said she still wants to know more about homecoming events and wants to buy the book. She said she would’ve known more her freshman year if the book had been available.

“It’s nice to be able to have a book around to look it all up,” she said. “I saw all the information about tutoring and stuff like that. I didn’t know anything about that until I went to my classes and my teachers mentioned something.”