Utah golfers not up to par

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

The Utes showed lack of experience in their first tournament of the year by finishing in 14th place at the Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational.

Over the past three years the Utes have finished in the top five at the Gene Miranda. It’s a difficult course to begin the year on, and most of the players haven’t seen this course.

“Understanding where this team is, how young it is and how inexperienced it is, I can guarantee that’s not going to happen again at this golf course,” head coach Randall McCracken said . “Next year, it’s going to be a totally different story.”

The young Utes team finished with a total score of 907 (43 over par) over the three-day tournament, 70 strokes behind tournament winners Colorado State. Although the course was playing difficult, there were a lot of low scores posted showing that it was possible to go low.

“It’s obviously not really difficult ’cause Colorado State won at 27 under, so numbers can be shot at that golf course,” McCracken said.

The individual low score was posted by freshman Joe Webber, whose 8-over finish was good for 45th place.

After the first round, the Utes posted a good number at 3-over-par and at one point were at eight under. With that first round total, they were in good position to crack the top 10. The Utes struggled the next two days and didn’t have anyone come close to a low score in the final day. The team average was 79 in the final round.

“Those last two rounds of 303 and 313 are just not going to do anything at the college level of golf,” McCracken said. “This team’s got some talent, and we know that they can shoot good numbers.”

There could be more of the same for the remainder of the year for the Utes because they are one of the youngest teams in the conference. Senior Chance Cota, who will be looked at to lead the team this year, finished tied for 71st place at 13-over par.

“Chance didn’t play very well at all, nowhere near his capabilities or how he should play,” McCracken said. “He’s the only guy we have that has any real college experience on this team.”

The Utes will hold a qualifier at the Salt Lake Country Club this week to see who will play in their next tournament in Denver. The top five qualifiers will be on the traveling team each week. They will probably have a different line-up every week because most players on the team are at the same level. Needless to say, this season will be a rebuilding year for the Utes.

The Utes head to the University of Denver this weekend for the Ron Moore Invitational.

Tyler Cobb

Senior Chance Cota shot a 13-over par in Utahs first tournament of the season.