Bleed Red kicks off to record numbers

By Dan Treasure, Staff Writer

The ARUP Bleed Red blood drive started off with record numbers Monday for the Utes in the annual competition against Utah State University.

Since the event started six years ago, Bleed Red has been helping provide needed blood donations to the Utah area, creating an off-field rivalry between the Aggies and the Utes.

USU completed its blood drive last week, collecting 1,235 units of blood. After the first day of the U blood drive, participants donated 218 units8212;almost half of the total units collected at the end of the competition two years ago.

With locations in the Union Ballroom and the sidewalk north of the U Campus Store, ARUP Blood Services is looking to U students to bolster blood supplies after one of the worst trauma seasons in Utah history this summer.

Bleed Red is one of hundreds of blood drives ARUP holds each year. In order to collect the 21,000 units a year it needs, ARUP tries to do three drives a day in the Utah area.

ARUP Community Relations Representative Lance Bandley said there is a constant need for blood donations. Blood only lasts 35 days. Blood cannot be more than five days old for it to be donated to babies.

“Whether Utah wins the competition or not, it is a win-win,” Bandley said. “August saw the biggest use of blood in history at hospitals with one of the busiest trauma seasons we’ve ever seen, and a large number of heart and kidney transplants. We only need one out of 125 people in Utah to donate a year, and we struggle every year to get that.”

When asked whether he donated to fill the need for blood or for glory over Utah State, sophomore physics major Drew Thompson said he saw donating as a new experience.

“Well it’s just something I’ve always wanted to do and I haven’t done it yet,” Thompson said. “Although the biggest reason was probably the T-shirt.”

Students don’t need a scheduled appointment to donate blood8212;they can walk in anytime from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at either location. Students who have never given blood before should expect the donation process to take about 20 to 30 minutes. After collecting roughly a pint of blood, donors can eat complementary pizza, snack foods and beverages.

The Associated Students of the University of Utah marketed the event with posters and T-shirts and helped coordinate food.

“We really want to see as many students as possible to show their support for their community, and hospitals,” said Brian Burton, ASUU programming adviser.

For students who have yet to donate, Bandley recommends students use common sense before donating.

“They need to eat healthy and well, he said. “Eat a good meal and drink plenty of liquids beforehand. Don’t eat fast food or Pop-Tarts, it’s just going to go right into the blood.”

Bandley also recommended that women with low blood-iron levels eat foods such as raisins, salad greens and oatmeal before donating to boost iron levels.

A week or two after donating, students will receive a letter in the mail telling them their blood type and thanking them for the donation.

To find out specifically if you are eligible to donate go to ARUP’s Web site at www.utahblood.org.

Lucas Isley

Tom Seibert, a Bio Engineering student from Boise, ID, donates blood during ARUP?s Bleed Red blood drive on campus. Utah hopes to receive more donations than USU this year in the annual blood drive competition.