Muslim Student Association promotes understanding of faith

By Clayton Norlen, Staff Writer

Student members of the Muslim Students Association gathered in the Union’s main entrance Tuesday to speak with anyone willing to share in conversation.

The Muslim holy month of Ramadan is a time in Islam where participating members of the faith abstain from food or drink during the daylight hours to encourage patience, faith and humility. The association said they wanted to help the U campus understand Islam’s history, preventing misconceptions about the faith often promoted by the Western media.

“We’re hoping, with these events, to teach and correct some (of) the messages out there about Islam,” said Asim Ahmed, association president. “People have been asking questions about Islamic culture in America and other countries, and I think it’s creating awareness.”

Using dioramas and activities as discussion aids, members of the association spoke about cultural and ethnic diversity in Islam and ways in which the faith has adapted to meet the needs of different countries.

Nichole Mossalam, a sophomore in Middle Eastern studies and association member, said that Ramadan is like the spiritual Olympics for Muslims and isn’t just about food. Ramadan encourages people to forgo sinful thoughts and actions to cultivate a stronger sense of faith and peace.

“Ramadan is a special time for Muslims and it helps us reach out and interact with others,” Mossalam said. “It is a community based (event); people don’t fast alone, they gather and have potlucks together and we’d like to invite others to share in that.”

The association is hosting a number of events for students and faculty, regardless of their faith.

Student members at the event said it is important for others to recognize the diversity within the Islamic faith and the numerous countries outside the Middle East that practice the faith.

Religion, Ahmed said, is as ethnically and culturally diverse as any country or community in the world.

“I don’t know all I should about (Islam),” said Kaitlyn Pieper, a junior in Middle East studies. “The biggest thing is that people don’t know about the countries and the people that practice the faith itself.”

The association has scheduled the imam, an Islamic leader from the Khadeeja Mosque in West Valley, to speak about the contributions Muslims have made in architecture, arts and the sciences. The event is Tuesday, Sept. 16, from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Union East Ballroom, and is free and open to the public.

The association will host a fast-a-thon Sept. 17, at 6:30 p.m. in the Fort Douglas Officer’s Club. Students, staff and faculty are invited to fast for the day and attend the event. Members will donate proceeds from the event to the Refugee Center and Paradise International Relief. Anyone interested in participating can contact the association for more information at [email protected].

Lucas Isley

Sophia Ahmed gives henna tattoos to fellow students Heidi Chamorro, Topacio Romirez, Louis Morales during the Muslim Student Association festival in the Union Building.