Utes light up scoreboard in Logan

By Chris Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

LOGAN8212;You know when you’re gawking at an attractive person from afar, and then suddenly, after they’ve made their way closer, you’re eyes adjust, and they were far from good?

That also describes Utah’s 58-10 win over Utah State, Saturday at Romney Stadium.

“You can find good things in a loss and bad things in a win,” quarterback Brian Johnson said.

Despite the lop-sided score, the Utes flew out of the gates frozen once again, falling behind 7-0 for the third-straight time before the offense and most notably the defense woke up and stuffed the Utah State offense for the remainder of the game.

The Utah defense held the Aggies to 116 yards of total offense, ironically, the last time the Utes held an opponent anywhere close to 100 yards of offense was against the Aggies in 2006.

Running back Matt Asiata and defensive end Paul Kruger paved the way for the Utes throughout the entire game.

“I thought the defense played outstanding,” head coach Kyle Whittingham said. “(Offensively) we weren’t consistent for the entire 60 minutes, but you put up 58 points, so you can’t complain too much.”

After “solidified” punt returner John Peel botched the first punt of the game that led to Aggie quarterback Sean Setzer’s 9-yard touchdown toss to Otis Nelson, it was all Utah from then on out.

Utah hit cruise control once Justin Taplin-Ross walloped Utah State kick-off returner Curtis Marsh after Louie Sakoda made the game 10-7 on a 48-yard field goal. The hit forced a fumble that was scooped up by Elijah Wesson, who returned then returned the ball 20 yards for a touchdown that put the Utes up 17-7 in the second quarter.

Quarterback Brian Johnson often times looking shaky while in the pocket. Despite throwing an interception, Johnson still finished 22-for-31, with 204 yards and two touchdowns.

The offense was regularly run through tailback Matt Asiata, who continued to line up behind center as he has been doing this entire season. Asiata finished with 56 yards rushing and three touchdown runs.

“I just wanna punch it in, ya know,” Asiata said. “Just gotta run the ball hard, play with passion and try to score every time. As long as I get the ball, I’m just gonna run hard.”

While Asiata delivered the knockout upper-cuts, backfield mate Darrell Mack was the one throwing the quick jabs against Utah State, finishing with 75 yards on 14 carries.

“I thought we moved the ball very well tonight,” Asiata said.

The offensive output was undoubtedly impressive, but the defense shined brighter once again.

Defensive ends Paul Kruger and Koa Misi pestered the two-headed Aggie quarterback that was the senior Setzer and fleet-footed sophomore Diondre Borel.

Kruger finished with a total of five tackles, all were for loss, including that were sacks. He also forced one of Utah’s three fumbles. Kruger’s four sacks tied a school record for sacks that dated back to John Frank against Boise State in 1999.

Utah’s newest defensive tackle and converted end, Derrick Shelby, had an impressive debut inside with three tackles and a fumble recovery on Kruger’s hit on Borel.

“Coaches made sure we didn’t lose containment,” Kruger said. “(Derrick) Shelby really stepped up big time. We have confidence in those guys.”

Utah State’s home-opener was the same old song and dance for the Aggies. The Utah rushing attack took a while to warm up, but even reserve Eddie Wide came in the fourth and pounded his way for 68 yards on nine carries. The Utes finished with 459 total yards, of which 246 came on the ground. During Utah State’s last desperation drive for the end zone, safety Deshawn Richard came flying in to pick off Borel’s pass8212;his first of his career8212;ending the game on a positive note for the Utes.

“Give all the credit in the world to the cornerbacks and safeties,” Kruger said. “They do their job, so we can get in there and make the plays.”

The Utes are now 3-0 for the first time since the 2004 season, and make a dangerous trip next week to Colorado Springs, Colo., to face off against an impressive Air Force team.

“Yeah, Air Force, 3-0,” Whittingham said. “They’re a good team, Coach Calhoun has done great job with those guys and we have our work cut out for us.”

Game Notes: Distinguished JC-transfer Aiona Key was cleared to suit up for the Utes and was on the sidelines in his No. 9 uniform, often talking to quarterbacks and fellow receivers. It was the second week in a row that the Utes rattled off 35 straight points. The Aggies were held to 27-yards rushing and averaged 1.1 yards per rush. Each team had three turnovers, including two fumbles lost and one interception. Kicker Louie Sakoda kicked three field goals (48, 35 and 24) now has 42 career field goals, pitting him two behind all-time leader Chris Yergensen and his school record of 44.

Lennie Mahler

Darrell Mack and Brian Johnson sing the fight song in front of a section of Utah fans Saturday in the Utes’ 58-10 win at Utah State. Utah set a new record for scoring in the history of their series against Utah State.

Lennie Mahler

Matt Asiate drags a Utah state defender with him before being tackled while rushing the ball. Asiata scored three touchdowns, averaging more than five yards per rush.

Lennie Mahler

Paul Kruger forces a fumble from Utah State quarterback Diondre Borel in the second quarter of the Utes’ 58-10 victory Saturday night at Romney Stadium.

Lennie Mahler

Ju Taplin-Ross forced a fumble in the second quarter that led to a Utah touchdown, putting the Utes up 17-7.