Students tired of campaign smears, want candidates to address issues

By Jed Layton, Hinckley Institute Journalism Program

INDIANAPOLIS8212;With less than two months until Election Day, the race for the presidential office is getting dirty.

Both Republicans and Democrats are attacking each other at any opportunity, which might be turning off voters but is turning on media.

Not everyone is impressed, though, especially students. On the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus, students are tired of hearing the negative things coming from each campaign and wish the candidates would start addressing the real issues of this election.

Tilley West, a graduate student at IUPUI, said both campaigns are at fault. Barack Obama is trying hard to focus on politics, but keeps getting distracted by John McCain.

“They both say they are all about change,” West said. “Maybe they should change how they run their campaigns.”

Indiana is expected to be a key state for both parties. It is currently leaning Republican, but students on campus say it could switch fast.

Carlos Colantonio, a sophomore in chemistry, said whichever candidate starts talking the right way about important issues, will win the state. But right now, both sides are avoiding the interests of the American public.

“The bad-mouthing has taken the focus away from the issues,” he said. “My big concern is immigration and I haven’t heard them talk about it since the conventions.”

The past few days have been especially brutal, said Liz Knowles, a sophomore in history. She said McCain’s campaign has been especially effective at attacking Obama.

“Probably because he has more ammunition to use,” she said.

Republicans and the media have recently criticized Sen. Obama for using a phrase which they said was directed toward Republican vice presidential nominee, Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

“John McCain says he is about change too. Except for economic policy, health-care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics.” Obama said. “That’s not change, that’s just calling the same thing something different. But, you know, you can put lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig.”

The comment received immediate backlash as many felt it referred to Palin’s GOP convention speech where she joked, “You know the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick!”
JC Talbot, an undecided freshman, said she was astonished at how Democrats and the media have brought Palin’s personal life into the political arena.

“The Democrats and the media have been terrible in attacking Sarah Palin,” she said. “The way they brought her daughter into the mess…was disgusting.”

Palin came into the media’s view in a dramatic way when McCain surprisingly announced her as his running mate and when Palin confirmed that her 17-year-old daughter Bristol is pregnant.

One student, however, said he does not mind hearing all of the gossip and rumors about the candidates. Jake Charleson, a senior in business, said he liked seeing McCain getting some pressure as well.

“How else are we going to find out their dirty secrets?” he said. “It is perfectly normal to try and bring your opponent down in politics.”

Critics have discredited two ads run by the McCain campaign.

Obama campaign spokesmen Bill Burton called McCain’s ad “The Original Maverick” a “lie.” An ad attacking Obama called “Fact Check” was reviewed by FactCheck.org, a non-partisan group, as being “less than honest.”

For the most part, students are hoping this phase will pass and that the candidates will soon start talking about the issues. Josh Blackburn expects the candidates will soon do so, especially with the upcoming debates.

“I am really excited for the debates, to get them side-by-side and hearing what their issues are and what their beliefs are,” Blackburn said. “What I am tired of hearing is the media doing all their spinning after every speech.”

Jabari Roper is frustrated to the point that he doesn’t know who he would vote for.

“If it were between McCain, Obama and another I would choose the other,” he said.

Editor’s Note8212;Jed Layton is reporting from the campaign trail in Indianapolis through the Hinckley Institute of Politics and Shantou University Political Journalism Program.