Utes ready for 2009 season with four more recruits

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

The Runnin’ Utes solidified their roster at the forward position for 2009 by picking up two players last week.

The Utes received oral commitments from Shawn Glover, a 6-foot-6-inch forward out of Cedar Hills, Texas and Joseph Watkins, a 6-foot-7-inch transfer from the College of Southern Idaho.

Glover had been looked at by Clemson, Oklahoma State and Colorado, but found Utah to work best for him. He is a solid shooter and can pass and rebound, but is most skilled at handling the ball. He was ranked No. 14 in scoring last season at the class 5-A level in Texas, with an average of 17 points per game. He brings a good attitude and unselfishness to the table for the Utes.

Watkins will play the 2008-2009 season with the College of Southern Idaho. In the 2006-2007 season, Watkins played at the University of San Francisco and was named to the West Coast Conference all-freshmen team. He averaged six points and three rebounds per game that year, but then had to sit out the 2007-2008 season due to academic reasons.

These are two of the four oral commitments the U has received for the 2009 season. The two other players are Jeremy Olsen from Suwanee, Ga., and Marshall Henderson from Hurst, Texas.

Olsen is a 6-foot-10-inch center at Collins Hill High School, but will play power forward for the Utes. He has a great mid-range jump shot and head coach Jim Boylen expects him to get some playing time in the 2009-2010 season. The goal for Olsen is to take the place of Shawn Green, who is finishing up his career at the U this season.

Henderson, a 6-foot-1-inch guard out of L.D. Bell High School, is a skilled guard who can play either the one or two position. ESPN.com reports a very high basketball IQ but says he needs work on his speed and dribbling skills. Henderson’s main strength is his perimeter shooting.

This is the class of 2009 for the Utes, who will be losing a huge amount of talent after this season. The Utes have recruited a good variety of players which Boylen can mold into strong performers.