Pikes to move into Tri Delta house

By Niccolo Barber, Staff Writer

After legal disputes, fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha will be moving into the former Delta Delta Delta sorority house within the next few weeks. Some of the excitement of the move has been curbed by complicated legal issues stemming from the Tri Deltas.

Discrepancies of ownership arose after the local Tri Delta chapter closed and sold its house in spring of 2006, said Jay Wilgus, assistant dean of students. The local chapter planned to donate the profits received from the house sale to the Huntsman Cancer Institute, claiming the house was built with funds from local sorority alumni. The national Delta Delta Delta organization filed a lawsuit against the local chapter, asserting the money should go to the national sorority’s fund.

The Pikes, seeking a new location, found themselves in a thorny situation.

“Imagine yourself trying to buy a house and trying to figure out who you’re supposed to pay,” Wilgus said. “It complicated the real estate contract for the Pikes because it had to be contingent upon the outcome of the litigation, which is still up in the air.”

Joey Lambert, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, couldn’t comment further on the legal issues of the former Tri Delta house because the real estate deal isn’t complete. The Pikes said they are confident they will be able to move into the house within a few weeks, although Lambert said he hasn’t received the final confirmation.

“Nothing is 100 percent solid yet,” Lambert said. “But it’s really close.”
The current Pike house will be on the open market, Lambert said. Profits from the sale will go toward paying off the purchase of the Tri Delta house.

Local Tri Delta alumni from the former U chapter were not available for comment.

Fraternity members look forward to the Pike house moving to the heart of Greek Row.

“We’ve always been involved in the community,” said Chase Straight, internal vice president of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity who also works for The Daily Utah Chronicle. “But all we’ve been known for is parties. We have other stuff going on, but it hasn’t been illuminated.”

Straight said that the new Pike house will go through renovations, despite the care it received from the former Tri Delta residents. The Pikes will pull up the carpets in the house to prepare for the extensive foot traffic the fraternity might receive with its new centralized location.

Straight said that the Pikes’ new location could create some controversy because of their reputation.

“There’s going to be growing pains in the greek community,” he said.
However, Libby Macey, president of Chi Omega, doesn’t seem worried about her new neighbors.

“We’re really excited to have the Pikes next door,” she said. “It will be a lot of fun.”

Straight said he is especially about the Pikes.

“We are a bright light in the world of the U’s greek community,” he said. “It’s a cool time to be a part of this fraternity.”

Thien sok

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity is hoping to move into the former Delta Delta Delta house within a few weeks after experiencing legal issues with the sale.