Utes prepare for Air Force Academy

By Chris Kamrani, Staff Writer

According to the National Security Act of 1947, “(The Air Force) shall be organized, trained, and equipped primarily for prompt and sustained offensive and defensive air operations.”

As for their football program, it’s a bit ironic that every offensive facet entails everything but air operations.

The Utes will be preparing for a true, old-fashioned football game Saturday when they travel to Colorado Springs, Colo., to take on the 3-0 Air Force Academy Falcons.

Rather than partaking in the trendy spread offense these days, the Falcons are one of a handful of teams who have chosen to strictly make their way toward the end zone on the ground8212;and only the ground.

Quarterback Shea Smith’s pass rating last week8212;zero.
Despite going 0-for-7 in last week’s 31-28 win against Houston, the Falcons did rack up 380 rushing, including five different cadets with 50 yards rushing or more.

“It’s typical Air Force,” Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said. “(Air Force) will not going to throw the ball more than 10-12 times most weeks. You’ve got to play the run just about every snap.”

Over the past few years, the Utes and Falcons have been engulfed in wire-to-wire nail-biters.

Last season’s matchup with Air Force was a disastrous home opener for the Utes. Then first-year head coach Troy Calhoun8212;who replaced Air Force and option-based legend Fisher DeBerry8212;marched into Rice-Eccles Stadium and played the organized, trained and equipped football that the academy has been running ever since the option was introduced to the Falcon offense.

Quarterback Shaun Carney had his way with a banged-up Utah defense, and led his option-based attack to a perfect “T” en route to a 20-12 upset.

Utah quarterback Brian Johnson hasn’t had a taste of the Air Force Academy since 2005. In that game, then-freshman Johnson carved his way for five touchdowns8212;three rushing and two passing8212;guiding the Utes to a thrilling 38-35 victory.

“I think it’s just the nature of the Academy,” Johnson said. “The style of football they play, obviously, you never put this football team away. They’re going to keep battling. You get an entire 60 minutes from those guys.”

Now, with the Air Force offensive attack being the clock-eating monster that it is, will the Utah offense be able to keep the defense rested with equally time-managed drives?

The Ute offense has had its fair share of 80-yard drives for six, but in a matchup of this caliber, the offense will need to either light up the scoreboard as quickly as possible, or give the front seven of their defense as much rest as possible.

“You have to play a full game (offensively and defensively) against Air Force,” running back Darrell Mack said. “There can’t be let-ups.”
The rushing arsenal for the Falcons consists of Smith, tailbacks Kyle Lumpkin and Savier Stephens, and sweeping wideouts Kyle Halderman and Spencer Armstrong.

The strengths of the Air Force offense will be matched up against the speed and athleticism of Utah’s defense. The likes of Paul Kruger, Koa Misi, Stevenson Sylvester, Robert Johnson and others will be called upon to stuff the option.

Whittingham notes that it is certainly easier said than done.

“Their coaches have done a great job,” Whittingham said. “They have the same gritty, tough, disciplined athlete as they’ve always had. Before, you had very few looks that you had to deal with. Coach Calhoun has brought in more formations that we’ve got to adjust to and defend. It causes you to have different assignments.”

While the Utah offense has averaged close to 42 points in their first three games, the offensive output still needs to put up more consistent drives, numbers and, most notably, keep the turnovers down to a minimum.

After last week’s punt returning debacle against Utah State, it would be a safe assessment to say that the Utes would not be sitting pretty had that occurred against a more quality opponent.

“I thought the offense was improved, but it is still not where it needs to be,” Whittingham said. “They showed more consistency and scored points, but we still have things we need to clean up.”

The tale of this game will most certainly be told on the defensive front for Utah. Offensively, the Utes should look to avoid costly turnovers and take advantage of an undersized secondary that gave up 364 yards to Houston a week ago.

“Possession becomes a little bit limited with their triple-option attack,” Johnson said. “(We’ve) got to be efficient offensively, and play for a full 60 minutes.”

While Utah’s defense is garnering national attention, it has yet to face an offensive juggernaut of Air Force’s caliber. The secondary will also play a big role in the run game this week.

“We’ll be assigned and sound,” safety Joe Dale said. “(The secondary) will be looking forward coming in and help stop the run. It’ll be a fun time and we’re looking forward to it.”

When asked if this was another game that the Utes had been looking forward to after last year’s loss, Dale pitched in his two cents.

“Any conference game or any game we lost the year before is circled,” Dale said.

Lennie Mahler

Air Force has started the season 3-0 behind a strong running game but Utah?s rush defense is ranked 15th in the nation.