Civics, art collide at Gallivan

By Chase Straight, Red Pulse Writer

While the election battle rages on, the spirit of Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign has found its way to the reddest state in the union. On Oct. 5, artists and musicians will come together at the Gallivan Center for the Utah United art and music festival. In a time of confusion and disorder, the festival hopes to inform festival-goers of issues in the community and what they can do to help.

Utah United Director Igor Limanksy organized the event because he wanted to help foster real change inspired by the message Obama has been spreading across the country.

“He’s a community organizer with a record of involvement. In my lifetime, I haven’t seen a civil movement as gripping as Obama’s,” Limansky said.

Despite that sentiment, the festival will not be based along party lines, nor will it mention politics. It will be based solely on the need for citizens to take an active stake in their community. The focus will be on voter registration, youth and literacy outreach, improved bicycle safety, veterans affairs and environmental issues. The festival will also feature a large voter registration booth that people can take advantage of without having to go out of their way.

The festival will also feature some of Salt Lake City’s finest entertainers. Included are John Henry, Kildem Soto, Vanessa Shuput, Oh Wild Birds, Mushman, Tolchock Trio and DJ Illoom.

The musicians taking part are an eclectic mix, but it all fits nicely with the united spirit. It will be a rare treat to watch the elusive indie crooners Mushman, who, out of some strange principle, never tour. DJ Illoom performs an interesting trance-inspired take on reggae and dub sounds. Oh Wild Birds will be sure to use their soothing vocals and liquid smoke melodies to trick the audience into thinking they’re floating on clouds. Fortunately, Tolchock Trio will bring everyone down to earth with gritty jams that sound like a smoother American version of Kaiser Chiefs. All in all, the bands are especially excited about the chance to play at a festival of this nature.

“Being in Utah, you know Republicans are going to kill it,” said Tolchok Trio guitarist Ryan Fedor, referring to the state’s voting habits. “(But) you still gotta go out and make some noise.”

David Fezter of Mushman thinks there’s more room for improvement.

“I think it’s extremely important to vote, and to vote honestly8212;especially in our red state, where the inevitability of the conservative outcome usually discourages most liberals from even trying,” Fetzer said. “I think exercising idealism in the democratic process was how it originally thrived. To vote pragmatically is to kill that process.”

The art section of the festival, “My America, Your America, Our America,” will showcase eight local artists, some of whom have made limited edition works specifically for the event. According to Laminksy, their art will try to answer the question, “What does American mean to you?” The artists will consist of Eric Overton, Bradford Overton, Alicia Overton, Noah Phillips, Sunny Strassberg, Chris Thompson, Ruby Chacon and Pamela Nielsen.

With all of the artistic talent in full display, along with positive messages from the Sierra Club, Build Green Utah and Planned Parenthood, Utah United looks to be the cultural event that Salt Lake City needs.

Tian Luu, a sophomore in psychology, thinks the festival will be a hit.

“I think it sounds like a really fun idea that’s going to draw people from both older and younger age groups,” she said.

The festival will last from noon to 9 p.m. Tickets will be $5 at the door.