Getting into Rock Climbing

By Nick Rosenberger

Rock climbing can be a fun, rewarding activity, but it also presents some risks that can lead to serious injury and death if the right precautions aren’t taken.

Climbing with a partner is essential. Beginners should always climb with a more experienced partner to ensure that risks are decreased. Aside from a knowledgeable person and the required strength it takes to rock climb safely and efficiently, there are certain items that are essential to rock climbing.

Necessary equipment
A 60- to 70-meter dynamic rope: $130 to $230
It is important to have a dynamic rope and not a static rope while rock climbing.
The difference between the two is, dynamic rope stretches in the event of a fall and will decrease the amount of energy and stress placed upon you and your rope in the case of a mishap. Static rope does not stretch and will not properly take your fall. If you were to use this climbing, it could possibly break your back if you were to fall.

Rock climbing harness: $50 to $100
A harness is important, as this is what attaches you to the rope when rock climbing. It is important that you find one that fits you correctly and is snug when you wear it.

Rock climbing shoes: $30 to $100
Rock climbing shoes allow superior grip on rock and allow someone to focus all of their weight on their toes if necessary.
It is important that your shoes are tight. Sometimes they need to be a shoe size or two smaller than what you normally wear.

Locking carabineers: $10 to $30
Locking carabineers have the ability to lock the clasp that allows things to come in and out of carabineers.
It would be a good idea to have more than one carabineer as they are used to build anchors at the top of a route. Locking carabineers are also used in the process of belaying someone.

Belaying device: $15 to $25
The ATC is a common device for belaying and rappelling.
This allows you successfully belay the individual climbing, as the rope can flow smoothly through it, but can be locked in place when necessary. A locking carabineer, harness and a rope are needed with this piece of equipment.

Rock climbing helmet: $65 to $100
A helmet is key to protect yourself when climbing, but not any regular helmet will work.
Climbing helmets are specifically designed to displace energy from a direct point of impact and are designed differently than other types of helmets.

Quick draws: $15 to $20
Quick Draws clip into bolts, which allow you to clip your rope in as you lead climb up the route. It is a form of protection in case of falling.

These are some of the basic things you will need for rock climbing, but most importantly you will need a friend to climb with, and if you do not have any experience, try to find a person who will take you and show you the basics.