Utah picked for top slot in preseason poll

By Quinn Wilcox, Staff Writer

Media day was nothing but good news for the Utah women’s basketball team.

Once all the preseason picks were in, Utah found itself with two preseason first-team Mountain West Conference players, the preseason conference player of the year and the No. 1 slot in MWC’s preseason poll. This is following a season where the Utes went undefeated in conference play last year, posting a 16-0 record, and getting an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. The 2008-2009 season looks very promising this year on the hardwood.

One of the main reasons Utah is favored to win the MWC might have to do with senior Morgan Warburton. Warburton is looking to add to what has already been a very impressive career. She is a two-time all-MWC selection, as well as an honorable mention on the All-American team from last year. One of the most potent scorers in the country, Warburton has a streak of 34 consecutive games where she has reached double-digits. Finally, she is the only returning player in the conference to eclipse the one-thousand point mark (1,275 career points). If Utah is in need of a basket, Warburton might be have her number called.

Joining Warburton on the all-conference team is Kalee Whipple, a second-team all-MWC player from last year. Whipple can be described as a do-it-all type player, as she ranked in the top five in the conference in five different statistical categories, including scoring and rebounding. She also notched 10 double-doubles last year, which was the best in the conference. Many felt Whipple deserved a first-team all-conference spot last year, but it looks as if this year could be her year.

With Warburton and Whipple leading the way, Utah was the favorite choice amongst voters for the No. 1 team in the MWC. Utah received 16 out of a possible 22 first-place votes, and tallied 206 points overall. But head coach Elaine Elliott was quick to point out in an interview she had with the MWC network, that many teams in conference this year have just as strong a case to be a preseason No. 1 choice,

“This year was just a tough call,” Elliott said. “Any one of five teams could have been voted (number one).”

And while Utah did do well with preseason voters, Elliott does have a point. Three other teams in the conference received first place votes on media day8212;San Diego State (6), TCU (2) and New Mexico (2). Utah might not be the consensus choice amongst everyone to repeat as regular season champs because of the graduation of talented point guard Leilani Mitchell, who is now playing for the WNBA’s New York Liberty. If the Utes can fill the void left by Mitchell, things will be looking good for the Utes this upcoming season.

The Utes start the regular season Nov. 17 when they host Jackson State. Utah can be seen before then, however, as it takes on Southern Oregon in an exhibition game Nov. 8.

Anna Kartashova

Morgan Warburton is the only Mountain West Conference one-thousand point scoring athlete to return this season. Utah is starting this season as MWC voters No. 1 team.